Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else having problems with KEH?

Anyone else having problems with KEH?

In the last couple of months I've ordered three 2x3 Pacemaker Graphic boards from KEH.

On my first order KEH sent me a board that wasn't even for a Graphic. I've never seen another like it.

On my second order, for two boards, they sent one 2x3 Pacemaker board as advertised (good) and one 4x5 Pacemaker board in a plastic bag marked "2x3 Graphic" (not good).

I called in to place the second order, had a chat with the salesman. He told me that it was impossible to send the message "Measure the boards before shipping" to the warehouse. At the time I placed my second order, their site still showed an image of a board like #1, the not-for-Graphic; I just checked, it isn't there now.

I know the general consensus is that no dealer is safer to buy routine 35 mm and MF equipment from than KEH. Are they equally safe as a source of LF gear? Or is their problem with equipment that's not clearly labelled? We all knows that metal Graphic boards are pretty, um, anonymous. Even so, two misses out of three seems pretty bad.

Arrgh!

Dan

Please don't tell me that I'm a slow learner, I've already measured.

Re: Anyone else having problems with KEH?

I have had great luck with them, but they do not give their salesmen any way to see the stuff. Sometimes there is confusion, but they are great on returns.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Sounds like you've had a run of bad luck, Dan. I haven't had any problems with my recent purchase of LF boards from KEH. In fact, every experience I've had buying from them has been positive.

I've bought many LF lenses and boards from them, as well as MF and 35mm; never a problem.

3d Visual Effects artist

I've had nothing but good luck with them, I've purchased alot of 35mm, 6x7cm, and 4x5 equipment from them. Everything from lenscaps, lensboards, lenses, and camera bodies. Haven't purchased anything in the last 6 months though.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

My friend we go out take pictures together isn't very fond of KEH either. His experience was enough for me to not have any business with KEH at all.

And, this thread is not the only one regarding KEH selling practices. Just another one.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

For Graphic lens boards, try Midwest Photo Exchange. They have new reproductions, too, and they know which is which. www.mpex.com Talk to Jim.

Thanks to all for the helpful responses. I've bought 35 mm gear from KEH with no problems too, and Graphic boards are somewhat anonymous. Still and all, getting, um, unexpected items was a considerable surprise.

Glen, thanks very much for the suggestion. I've wondered what Graphic gear, if any, Jim had since MPEX took all mention of it off their site. But please remember that I'm a grade-A cheapskate; the KEH boards that came this week had the right sized holes and were priced well below the usual charges for drilling a board. Unless/until I go crazy about using some of my less loveable lenses I actually have more boards on hand than lenses that need one.

Thanks again,

Dan

I have bought tons of gear from KEH and cannot fault them for anything but sometimes sending higher rated quality gear than I ordered. But, as others pointed out, the phone marketeers cannot handle the gear which can cause confusion on some real speciality items. Why fault them on a bad transaction they are more than willing to straighten out when they have completed hundreds of thousands of transactions with no problems?

Widows and Orphans Beware

Everything I have ever bought from KEH has been absolutely perfect. I have been astonished at the high quality of items marked "bgn." I am sorry that your experience has not been as good.