Thread: film suggestion

film suggestion

After searching I was unable to get a straight answer. I am new to shooting 8X10 and am heading to the Grand Canyon. I am used to shooting velvia but I am not even sure which films are still around in 8X10. What about Kodak E100VS? How do people feel about Provia, Astia, or Velvia 100F for landscapes? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Dan

Re: film suggestion

3d Visual Effects artist

I like what I see from my friend's 6x12cm Astia, so I tried to get some Astia 8x10 from Badger graphic (one of the few places i think that can get it to the US) and I was on the waiting list for quite some time before I cancelled my order. You should be able to get Provia though.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Preston Birdwell

Dan,

I shoot 4x5 and here is my 2 cents...

I shoot a lot of Astia 100F. It has a pretty neutral color pallet and scans nicely. Provia is too blue for my taste. To qualify this staIement, I must say that I shoot a lot in the mountains where the blue component is high. I have only shot 20 sheets of Velvia 100F. It was a bear to scan: I had better (much better) luck with Velveeta 100 (non-F) in 4x5.

Have fun at the 'Big Dtich'!

-P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Thanks Ron, the link was helpful. However, I have no experience nor any clue about these films (Kodak E100; Kodak EPP; Kodak EPP; Kodak EPY) Is one cooler, less saturated, etc. With the red rocks of the grand canyon I would like a film to be warm in nature. How about this: for those shooting 8X10 landscapes in the southwest, which films are you using and why? Remember I am new and very greatful for any advice anyone cares to share.

thanks,

dan

hi dan,

i shot 8x10 E6 at the GC last year.....i wish i had brought a C41 film for sure. i just needed the extra latitude that C41 films give. with the shadow deep in the canyon and the bright areas E6 is very difficult to work with especially there. i use and love E6 but the GC is very challenging.

you say you are new.....then use what you like in smaller formats. i have not tested any one film specifically so i can not give you any definitive answers. i use pro S and pro C from fuji and portra NC from kodak with good results (in smaller formats). i have some VC and NC to shoot now. i find if i have to scan it i can do minor adjustments in PS if i need. basically i think you will do fine no matter what C41 you get....but get C41 for sure to shoot the GC.

have fun.

when are you going? i will be in Utah area in late sept.

please keep us posted on what you find and use and how it worked.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

One of the drawbacks of 8x10 is the relative bulk of the film holders, and unless you are willing to devote considerable space in your car to film holders, you're going to have to keep film types to a minimum. Plus if you go hiking for any distance, 1.4 pounds per film holder gets old real fast.

For a relatively high contrast subject like the Grand Canyon, if you only shoot within maybe 15 minutes of sunrise and sunset, then you can get by with a supersaturated, high contrast film like Velvia 50 or Velvia 100 (E100VS is no longer available in 8x10). 8x10 Velvia 50 is stocked by Fuji USA and can be ordered via a variety of camera stores; it is a classic film emulsion with some of the warm characteristics you are looking for, but it is a slow film for 8x10 and motion blur can be a problem if a wind is blowing. Velvia 100 is one stop faster and can be pushed, but currently only Badger Graphic stocks it in the U.S. (otherwise you must import it yourself from Japan).

If you shoot within 30-45 minutes of sunrise and sunset, then Velvia becomes too contrasty (either highlights will get blown out or shadows get too dark). A medium contrast, medium saturation chrome film can work here (such as Provia), and some folks prefer a low contrast, neutral color film like Astia or E100G (which they can then scan and boost saturation with Photoshop).

If you want to shoot during any time of the day, then for many landscape scenes chrome film will be too contrasty. Color negative film would then be the film of choice (Pro 160S and Portra 160NC/VC are all good, as is Portra 400NC if you need more speed). Color neg films have a broader dynamic range than chrome and do a better job of holding highlight and shadow areas. But these films are less color saturated than chrome, plus landscape subjects frequently benefit from the warm, diffuse, low-angle lighting found near sunrise and sunset. There is no free lunch.

Personally, I typically carry Provia and Pro 160S (or occasionally Portra 160VC). These films handle almost all of the situations I encounter. I do, though, carry a full set of warming filters to get the color tone I am looking for (the shadows with Provia can be a bit cool, plus if you shoot in the alpenglow before sunrise or after sunset you'll need a strong warming filter no matter what chrome film you use).