Thread: EBONY 8x10 Wholeplate Camera?

EBONY 8x10 Wholeplate Camera?

What is the difference if I buy Ebony 8x10 Wholeplate Camera or
    just Ebony SV810UE?

Price difference is 2,000.00 extra for Wholeplate

Re: EBONY 8x10 Wholeplate Camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Natasa Stojsic View Post
    What is the difference if I buy Ebony 8x10 Wholeplate Camera or just Ebony SV810UE?...
    Here are the specifications for each:

http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam/main.SVWholeplate.html

http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam/main.SV810U.SV810UE.html

The SV810UE is considerably larger and 2.5kg heavier than an SV Wholeplate. Also, it's an 8x10. If you want a 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 camera, why not get one?

Just to make sure it's clear, the wholeplate camera is not an 8x10 camera - it's a smaller format, 6.5 x 8.5 inches.

A wonderful format, which both Sal and I happily use - - but it's not 8x10.

The previous posts are correct, but WRT weight, it's apples and oranges, or should I say mahogany versus ebony. With both cameras in mahogany, the difference is 1 kg or about 2 lbs.

To see if it's worth it, draw an 8x10 rectangle on a piece of paper, then draw a 6-1/2" x 8-1/2" rectangle inside it. now decide if it's worth $2,000 to save 2 pounds and get a smaller format. Then factor in cutting film or custom ordering film, having custom holders made which will cost $$$.

No criticism of those for whom it's worth it, but if weight is your problem, skip a couple of meals at TGI McFunsters and save the $2K + custom holders and a couple of meals.

My personal solution is to shoot 8x10 with standard film and holders, then mat and frame to 6-1/2" x 8-1/2", which is a simply lovely format. I just choose to do it a lot cheaper at a sacrifice of a couple of pounds and some bulk. Plus I get a "twofer", 8x10 and 6-1/2 x 8-1/2.

Cheers,

Steve

I see, but still $2000.00 more is a little too much for me because I can buy 8x10 and use $2000.00 against the lenses!

Why would photographer choose 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 format instead of 4x5/5x7/8x10/etc???

Sal and Oren, Is there any particular reason? Because even Film will cost me more!

Does anybody here uses Schneider FINE ART XXL LENSES and if you do, could you post some images please 550 is the one I am interested to buy.

I want to thank all posters: Sal Santamaura, Oren Grad and Steve Hamley because I am looking 4x5 option. The problem is I know I can't use Schneider Fine Art Lenses on 4x5, so probably 8x10 although 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 format is compact and very good mid size camera where I could actually use Schneider FINE ART XXL LENSES only it cost more money from the start to finish

I don't know, for now my vote goes to 8x10

In the desert...

I would opt for the fugi c 600 mm lens for 8 x 10. Unless you need to cover 20 x 24 I don t see the need for the fine art lens on 8 x 10. Even so the fugi will cover 14 x 17 easily and more, also can be purchased new from Badger Graphic Sales for around 1500, much lighter in weight and more compact and sharp as a tack!

Dave Karp

For me, it is not just the weight. It is also about the more compact size of the camera, and the fact that I can use many of the lenses that I use with my 4x5. Most of them are small and light. None are on a shutter bigger than a No. 1. If I went to 8x10, The vast majority of my lenses do not cover. For me, it would be an expensive prospect to buy new lenses. And I did not buy an Ebony, I bought a $275 Improved Seneca View and had a new bellows put on it.

...Why would photographer choose 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 format instead of 4x5/5x7/8x10/etc???...
    Larger formats such as 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 and 8x10 (some would say 5x7 too) are primarily chosen today for contact printing. Yes, there are those who enlarge from these negatives, but most don't, and many work in alternative processes that require a same-size negative. Most 4x5 and 5x7 shooters enlarge.

Many who elect to shoot and contact print 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 are enthralled by the way this size image looks, especially on an 11x14 mat. If you make a mockup of that configuration you'll probably see what I mean.

...Does anybody here uses Schneider FINE ART XXL LENSES and if you do, could you post some images please 550 is the one I am interested to buy...
    I'm curious why you're interested in that particular line of Schneider lenses. Their primary advantage is that they're modern, multicoated lenses with coverage sufficient for use on Ultra Large Format cameras. The largest format you've discussed above is 8x10; what would you gain with Schneider's FINE ART XXL lenses compared to using other less expensive modern lenses that cover 8x10 adequately? If something in the vicinity of 550mm is important to you, I'd go along with Dave Wooten. Get a 600mm Fujinon C.

Your signature line and other posts indicate you use medium format equipment with a digital back. If this is your first foray into large format film, I strongly suggest you not purchase a lot of expensive, state-of-the-art lenses or new cameras in any format right away. It would be much better to experiment a bit, working with Jeff at Badger and/or Jim at Midwest, using some equipment in several formats. That way you will be able to determine if you enjoy the upside-down and reversed world under a dark cloth as well as whether composing in the exact size of your finished work (i.e. contact prints) is important to you. In my opinion, only then does it make good sense to invest large sums in a camera and lens(es).