Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Composition

Re: Composition

Interesting thread Donald, a pleasure as always.

Here is a symetrical balance (or one I feel worked well). The intent was to balance the light and form of the column. It was if the designer/builder intended for the structure to memic a flower - form and function working together.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

This image is an example of another of the types of balance. This one is named radial and as one would think it is determined by lines radiating from a single point.

Whoa I've been doing it wrong all these years!

If I had to name it I guess the compositional tool I utilized was leading lines.

There was a lot to see texture wise but no real focal point. I tried to lay the image out on the ground glass to guide the eye through the photo so you would have time to pick up the subtle nuances of tone and texture.

Abstracts can be hard and they can be easy. I must admit on the ground glass I see in abstraction a lot easier and it pays to have a few comp tricks in mind to capitalize on the scene in front of you (I'm hoping to steal a few of yours for my "library").....

Quote Originally Posted by gbogatko View Post
    With nails firmly being chewed, I submit the enclosed. The bright vase and lily should be balanced by the dark maple leaves that take up the rest of the frame. There is also the curve that extends from the vase along the bottom of the assembled leaves and then zigs back upward like a check mark. Also, the lily is missing a pedal, which gives it the same 5 point shape as the maple leaves.

How much is on purpose? Certainly the lily and the sweep of the branch from left to right. The arch is "helped" with dodging.

Tear away.

George
    Why would you want to chew your nails? LOL This is all about everyone learning...that includes me.

I think that you have identified the primary aspects of your photograph. The placement of the white blossom in your composition is traditionally optimal. I really rather enjoy seeing a blossom that is not perfectly symetrical because it adds a degree of tension to the composition. Thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Castles View Post
    Interesting thread Donald, a pleasure as always.

Here is a symetrical balance (or one I feel worked well). The intent was to balance the light and form of the column. It was if the designer/builder intended for the structure to memic a flower - form and function working together.

Hi Mike, I like your photograph a lot. Very nice. I would be inclined to identify this as a composition utilizing radial balance since the lines emanate from one point and if the image were divided into two parts they would not be equal. Apart from the semantics it is a very nice image and I am glad that you posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv Thompson View Post
    If I had to name it I guess the compositional tool I utilized was leading lines.

There was a lot to see texture wise but no real focal point. I tried to lay the image out on the ground glass to guide the eye through the photo so you would have time to pick up the subtle nuances of tone and texture.

Abstracts can be hard and they can be easy. I must admit on the ground glass I see in abstraction a lot easier and it pays to have a few comp tricks in mind to capitalize on the scene in front of you (I'm hoping to steal a few of yours for my "library").....

Marv, This image has wonderful texture. The ice looks like ice and that can be tough at times. I would agree with your description being that you used leading lines.

I wonder how the image would have appeared if the darkness of the water did not intersect the print boundary on the right side. Thanks for posting your fine photograph.

Hi Donald, point taken and I agree with the radial balance - I have often referenced it as floral. Thank you for your input.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Here are some examples:

Compositional elements pushed to the edges of the frame:

Zig-zag line:

Triangle:

Curving leading lines:

Best regards, Christoph

Richard M. Coda

I like to photograph things that have graphic tension in them. When I show these prints I get the usual... people with cropping squares. And these are intelligent, experienced large format photographers... some of whom were assistants to some very well known (now passed) photographers. Sometimes I agree, but more often than not, I don't. Sometimes I think I should not photograph anymore.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"