Thread: BetterScanning Holder - praise.

BetterScanning Holder - praise.

I've just received a BetterScanning 120 roll film mounting station from Doug Fisher and wanted to share my first impressions of it with anyone using roll film in their LF cameras - especially 6x17cms.

In a word ... superb!

I'm a convert to Doug's mounting stations having used the LF sheet film version with my Epson V700 and I have used this station to scan 6x17cms negs but I still found it a bit fussy having to tape all around the neg to keep it flat on the Anti-Newton glass.

So I ordered a 120 version with the additional piece of 120 AN glass and what an improvement in ease of scanning and results! The mounting station is very easy to calibrate and build quality is absolutely first class. The 6x17cms negs are held absolutely flat - even those with a pronounced curl.

I can HIGHLY recommend Doug's products - I have no affiliation to his company _ I'm simply a VERY satisfied customer. Regards Paul

Re: BetterScanning Holder - praise.

Join the club. They simply work.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Yes his holders are fabulous. Just got his 5x7 mounting station. It is equal to his 120 roll film holder I've had for some time.

http://www.betterscanning.com/
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

3d Visual Effects artist

yes, they are nice! Just wish he made something for 8x10 on the Epson 4990 :-( I had to hack one up myself
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Thanks for the nice comments, guys

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com

Another vote for these. I use the multi mounting station with the epson 4990.

Best dollar to difference ratio in scanning.

I've been saying this before, but here goes again. There is a world of difference in between these sturdy state-of-the-art holders and the flimsy OEM holders that Epson supplies with their scanners. Once calibrated, which isn't complicated at all, they will hold the film flat and more important, in perfect focus. I do prefer to use the AN glass for the 120 film holder, but the clips are really good enough.
    For LF film I also bought the mounting station where I wetmount anything which is beyond the first proofing. Once you've learned how to wetmount it's quite a quick procedure. Perfect flatness, no newton rings and (again once calibrated) perfect focus. I guess the wetmounting also hides small scratches etc. but I'm not sure about that.
    I had a very small issue last year where I ruined a couple of the nylon adjustment screws. They are IMO a little soft. I didn't pay much attention to it, but mentioned it in an earlier thread on these film holders. A few days later a letter with replacements arrived from Doug at BetterScanning. Good service too.

I rarely say "Hallelujah" about anything, as it IMO indicates a lack of a critical eye. I rarely if ever gives anything 10 out of 10 because that impedes further evolution and invention. But these holders are the best on the market today for the Epson consumer scanners and an incredible improvement compared to the ones supplied with the scanners.

//Björn

LJ Segil

I rarely say "Hallelujah" about anything, as it IMO indicates a lack of a critical eye. I rarely if ever gives anything 10 out of 10 because that impedes further evolution and invention. But these holders are the best on the market today for the Epson consumer scanners and an incredible improvement compared to the ones supplied with the scanners.

//Björn

Couldn't agree more, great products, great service, great advice at any time. Doug never says no to any request or question, but even discourages purchase of a product that is not appropriate for the task at hand. But in the interest of the evolution and invention that Bjorn suggest, might there be any hope for an 8x10 mount? Then all I would have to do is learn to make a decent scan and my life would be complete (nearly?), or at least bereft of excuses for my continued mediocre results.
    Larry

Doug,

is there any chance of a batch-run for our microtek M1 users?

Thanks

Andrew

Hi, Andrew. I sent you a message offline.

Thanks,
    Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com