Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting without Tri/Monopod

Shooting without Tri/Monopod

I will be visiting Mexico, specifically ancient Mayan cities in the Yucatan, this November. The Mexican Government does not allow tripods or monopods at these sites (technically, you have to get a permit from INAH, which only National Geographic photographers seem to be able to get). I would love to bring my LF gear but am not sure how to go about shooting without a tripod or monopod. Any suggestions? Alternatively, does anybody have any suggestions on how to get a permit to use a tripod at archaeological sites from INAH?

Daniel

Re: Shooting without Tri/Monopod

Fast film and a press camera like a Graphic, Technika, Meridian, MPP, B&J, etc.

David's right... I've had good results hand-holding my Super Graphic even with ISO 100 films... If it's sunny, that means you can shoot at f/11 and 1/200 or 1/250, which is a perfectly reasonable speed if you're handholding a camera with a leaf shutter. If you're concerned about DOF, switch to 320 or 400 film, and you'll be able to handhold at f/22 or f/32...

I've used my Tachihara 4x5 without a tripod or a monopod by just balancing it on the end of the aluminium case I carry it around in.

Using a 90mm lens means the framing doesn't have to be super precise. The 4x5 negative is big enough to allow some air around the subject matter for later cropping. A long (3 feet) soft fabric covered cable release sends no vibration.

The down side is finding level ground to put the case on. And the worm's eye view of the world gets tedious too.

Sometimes I wish for a four legged camera stand so that when some jerk waffles on about tripods I can say "Can't you count? This is a quadropod!"
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    I've used my Tachihara 4x5 without a tripod or a monopod by just balancing it on the end of the aluminium case I carry it around in.
    you could probably mount a tripod screw to the case, and screw on your tripod head to the hard case when you get to your shooting location!
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

I'd opt for a Speed, Super Speed, or Crown Graphic (or Linhof Technika) Thats what they were made for!

Either that or epoxy a bit of 1/4-20 thread on a hard hat for your wifey to wear
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Certainly worth taking note of the above suggestions for using a press or technical camera, IMHO. A 90mm would be great, maybe even something wider, if you have it.

By their nature, the pyramidal sites like Palenque, Yaxchilan, Bonampak, Coba etc. make the wide view a necessity, and accompanying greater depth of field will be welcome. A coupled rangefinder makes life easier too, as will having available in your bag or wallet some tiny reprints of d-o-f tables for relevant focal lengths. Many places may present you with the possibility of perching your camera on benches, stonework architectural features and similar tripod substitutes (but careful to do no damage).

Now and then at INAH sites, I have seen photographers with compact monopods (maybe a 4-section would be less obvious at the entry gate to the site? 'Fancier' make some reasonable models for absurdly low prices, 'Feisol' too). A camera with some weight is actually easier to hold still for hand-held exposures than a fly-weight digital - more inertia.

And my last suggestion: sometimes great compositions can be found by shooting from _outside_ the actual site, so on those occasions a longer lens would be useful, and a tripod can then be used. Many many photographs of Tulum, for instance, are made from the beaches below the INAH site.

Downstairs

This fits in a bag, goes on cars and walls. No arguments - it's not a tripod - it's part of the camera. It's sheet aluminium, cut and bent in a press with a 3/8ths filleted hole. While your'e are at it, make some for your friends.

Jean-Louis Llech

I would love to bring my LF gear
    Which LF gear ? Whether it is a Sinar P2 or a Speed Graphic, handheld, the problem is "sligtly" different, no ?
    What about describing your equipment ?

multiplex

a beanbag works well too. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Broadbent View Post

This fits in a bag, goes on cars and walls. No arguments - it's not a tripod - it's part of the camera. It's sheet aluminium, cut and bent in a press with a 3/8ths filleted hole. While your'e are at it, make some for your friends.
    that's nice.