Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For Ted Harris

Re: For Ted Harris

Good Job Bruce, maybe another outing next year? Like you said, we have to get out there and shoot if we want to do better.

Just as Merg has brought us the stories that add a human element to Brett, Bruce (with Amy and Richard, et al) have reminded us of that side of Ted we all admired - the human side.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    You have the skill, getting out and trying will provide you with the fortune. We each can do only the best we can, and the more we do, the better we get. As Ted would have said, "Try it!" If you've done the best that you can, it's worthy.

And, secretly, one of mine on the site is - gasp - 35mm! But it's becoming one of my favorites of all time.

Thanks to all who've posted such nice words here. I'm IM'ing Amy at the moment, and she's touched with your responses. That is very gratifying to me.

I'll post some more of an old mill in Springfield Vermont, where we visited. I'm planning to print those this morning if I get enough coffee.

Bruce, I think you did a typo. This quote is from Fred Picker and not Ted Harris. Remember, Fred Picker had a stamp especially made to reply to people's letters that said "Try it".
    Carol

It's a common and simple enough phrase that I doubt anyone had a copyright on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Dent View Post
    Bruce, I think you did a typo. This quote is from Fred Picker and not Ted Harris. Remember, Fred Picker had a stamp especially made to reply to people's letters that said "Try it".
    Carol
    No typo. You're absolutely right, but the quote is from both.

Fred's stamp was my idea. I had the "Try it" stamp made for Fred not long after I came to Vermont to work at Zone VI in 1988. I had three made. That one, "It Doesn't Matter," and "Bulls***" (with the real letters), which was his favorite until we took it away from him. Red ink pad.

Ted, also, was an advocate of "try it," as any inquisitive photographer should be.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I think those three stamps would be sufficient to answer 90% of the questions posted on internet forums (feel free to use the third one here, if you think it's appropriate).

Out of the darkroom, onto the website.

Ted Harris and I spent many happy hours good-naturedly arguing the relative photographic merits of covered bridges, lighthouses, moving water, and rocks. Often over a magnificent pizza lunch.

Well, these are my best from the Ted Harris Memorial Weekend, and you can see which side of those arguments I took. Not to mention that there are no lighthouses nearby...

Thanks to all of those who thought of Ted over that weekend, and maybe took a few minutes to craft a special image.

http://circleofthesunproductions.com...ges/ForTed.htm

Miss you, Ted.
    Thanks Bruce for sharing very nice pictures! I also have my very favorite among your pictures!! And I have read your thread about it and seen Richards special finding also!

Your posting served as a very good reminder to post my own Ted Harris memorial weekend pictures. http://www.pbase.com/mortenk/fortedharris
    ( I would like to move them or one into the memorial site)

And your post also was a good reminder and MUST kick-from-self to develop my 60+ 5x7 hp5 negatives from the workshop by end of July! They are as the Stockholm negatives x-ray'ed twice and should be fine from that end.

Have a Nice Summer!!

Best Regards
    Morten

I had intended to join Bruce and Richard for the Ted Harris Weekend, but couldn't make it, so I shot this on my patio. It's not totally satisfactory, but I'm posting it anyhow as a rememberence to Ted.
    Busch Pressman D, 165mm component of Staeble Satz Polyplast, medium yellow filter, 1/25@f:32 on Polaroid type 52.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Well done, and thank you Bill and Morten. Your kind thoughts and hard work are appreciated.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

multiplex

those are beautiful images bruce.
    very serene and calming.

john

Ted, also, was an advocate of "try it," as any inquisitive photographer should be.
    Our motto during a continental cycling crossing(93) was "Try it if you haven't done it, do it often if you love it" or something to that degree and it was not necessary cycling related.

I was out shooting over that "Homage to Ted" weekend as well. I needed to be near the home base so I went as far as I could, downtown Holyoke. This is the Paper mill I photographed with 11x14 adapted to an old Indian 12x16 camera, this was its first image, the subsequent two images are of what happened to the building after a big fire that happened several weeks ago.