Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sherpa Cart

Sherpa Cart

Does anyone have experience carrying LF gear with one of these carts? I will be photographing inside a large building where a wheeled cart would make life much easier than using the backpack for managing an 8X10, lenses, film holders etc. Can the Sherpa bag be removed and a backpack strapped to the cart frame? Ideas, suggestions for using the Sherpa Cart or alternative wheeled options for LF gear much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ben

Re: Sherpa Cart

I have used a sherpa cart without the pack for 8x10 gear in the past. I have strapped a lightware case, and a backpack on it. The only problem I have encountered is after I purchased it the wheels went flat. I went to a bike shop and they put in intertube liners and I have not had a problem since. A very smooth ride.

I bought a used 3-wheeled baby jogging storller on eBay for dirt cheap.

Seems babies grow, so moms stop jogging with them when they outgrow the jogging stroller.

Now I push my 8x10 gear with very little effort, and the thing has full suspension, and a hand brake.

What's nice is the bicycle wheels come off with quick release hubs, and the whole thing folds up for packing in the car or truck.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I use a Sherpa Cart for schlepping a Sinar Norma and like it a lot. I had the same problem and solution as Dave with the tires going flat. I like the cart better than a jogging stroller as it has a much smaller footprint and is very easy to maneuver and will handle surprisingly rough terrain.

I bought the Sherpa Cart years ago for all my 8x10 gear. I never had a chance for the tires to go flat as my backback wouldn't fit into it so I never used it. I sold it (at a considerable loss) to the manager of a Senior Baseball League team and he used it for hauling bats, balls etc. around.

Re: "Sherpa Carts"

We all have different needs/circumstances. I don't have an assistant and happen to like the option of a work-space to lay out the "tools" like a surgeon's table. Others seem to want manuverabilillty, security, or collapsibility. Getting it all in one transporter is a challenge.

Jean-Louis Llech

This post is 4 years old, and I wrote some arguments for three-wheeled strollers vs. all "wheelbarrow" systems. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=10281
    Walter Calahan perfectly describes some advantages of the baby strollers : full suspension, hand brake, removable wheels with inflated tires, easy to fold up.
    And any backpack can be mounted on it.
    Most of all, rubber tires are allowed into all buildings with fragile floors, and when the stroller is stopped, it acts as an oblique cradle and you easily reach all your gear.
    And as Frank Petronio wrote : "This gives new meaning to "babying" your camera!"

These comments coming from hands on experience is exactly what I was looking for. Now I have much to consider. I think that either the Baby Jogger or Sherpa Cart will be fine for the project I initially have in mind. I will have to decide which I will get more use from in the long run.

Thanks for the help.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hopson View Post
    These comments coming from hands on experience is exactly what I was looking for. Now I have much to consider. I think that either the Baby Jogger or Sherpa Cart will be fine for the project I initially have in mind. I will have to decide which I will get more use from in the long run.

Thanks for the help.
    Ben
    I bought a used jogger stroller and am going to try and take off the two back wheels and have just one for pulling behind me - so I can hike on a trail. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

http://lifewithease.com/foldit.html

this works really well and folds pretty small