Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Callin any French members! (Possibly German too!)

Callin any French members! (Possibly German too!)

Mods please move this thread to an appropriate category (such as the lounge) if it is not best placed in this forum

Calling any or all French members to the forum. Sadly not LF, but I'm trying to track down photo books by JeanLoup Sieff. Annoyingly they are almost impossible to find here in the UK - the most modern version is easily found, but try finding Torses Nus or Indiscretes, you'll be lucky!

So I'm especially after Torses Nus, published by Contrejour. Of course some of the other JLS books I'd probably be interested in too.

Minutes ago I was outbid on a German copy of Torses Nus, so it appears it's available in at least two languages.

If any of you members in France or Germany happen across your favoured secondhand bookshops and come across these books, please be kind and let me know how much they are and whether they're in a good condition.

My French is a little too poor to be taking a trip to France and trying to ask for a specific book, it would be something like "uuuuhhhh......uhhhh... je voudrais une livre de JeanLoup Sieff, uhhhmmmm...... c'est appelle torses nus" which I'm sure sounds way too much like a tourist who only just scraped a GCSE in French.

As per German, I'd be hopeless to even start!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Callin any French members! (Possibly German too!)

Ash... worth a shot? The URL for the "abebooks.com" listings is below the main listings from "Bookfinder", since I think you'll need abebooks to actually get in touch... good luck!

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac...torses%2520nus

1 Antiquariaat Ovidius
    via AbeBooks
    [Netherlands] Publisher: Mosel. Schirmer.
    1986. Pap. Large 4°. Illustr.
    $105.94

2 James & Naomi Cummings, Booksellers
    via AbeBooks
    [United States] Softcover
    Publisher: Schirmer, 1986

$204.50

3 buxbox
    via AbeBooks
    [Germany] ISBN 3888141982
    Used, remainders or ex-library, english-speaking-service, multi-volumes: please ask before ordering, Gebraucht oder Verlagsrestbestand, evtl. aus Bibliotheksbestand, bei mehrbändigen Werken bitten wir um vorherige Anfrage, korrekte Rechnung mit ausgewiesener MwSt., deutschsprachiger Service, 14-Tage-Rückgaberecht
    $264.72
    ( All matching books shown )

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...es+nus&x=0&y=0

try this:
    http://www.choosebooks.com/index.do

you can search german second hand bookstores but I don`t know the german version of the
    books you are looking for. they have one called "erotic photography"

Erotic was a book that has JLS and somebody else's photo's in it. I had tried a lot of the big online book people but most say "special order" or "unavailable". I'm really keen on the French version of Torses Nus more than the German, especially if I'll be paying around €100+ anyway! Thanks for the help so far

AH, Janloup SIeff!!
    It's his initial fault if I started to take pictures.
    He knew exactly what sensuality is and his images are the primary example of daring good taste.
    Sorry, I couldn't refrain myself....

I found him by chance in a library, and his are some of my most favourite photographs I've ever seen. Even to the point of maybe, just maybe, using a wide lens instead of a normal or portrait length. Aside from that most English versions of his books are poorly translated or out of print!

Ash,

I quickly tried to locate a copy of "Torses nus" : no result. You could try to send an email to http://www.argentic.fr/, maybe he could help.

Taschen put out a relatively inexpensive monograph of his that should be readily available. I've sen it at the Taschen store at the Farmer's Market in LA.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Lindemanns don't have it either. A couple of other books with/by Sieff, though...

In the desert...

Ole Amazon has quite a few.