Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best scanner under 5 grand

Best scanner under 5 grand

Many scanners I see mentioned in the forums use scsi interfaces or some other primitive connection. I don't want an epson consumer scanner, but something that can provide me with the highest quality without costing more than $5,000. I plan to scan 8x10 slides.
    thank you so much

Re: Best scanner under 5 grand

Depends what is your application. You can find here around that if you do not need more than 4x enlargement you can get by with one of the last Epsons or the Microtek M1 which is supposed to have rather good D-range. If you need more and want to scan smaller (smaller than 4x5) formats too, you may consider some older professional flatbed (Screen Cezanne, Creo Eversmart Pro etc.) scanner where you most probably have ot deal with older software/harware, SCSI connections and when neded very expensive repairs. I consider one of these on a longer run too. Have look here for some used/refurbished units:

http://www.brakensiek.com/
    http://www.pressresale.com
    http://www.genesis-equipment.com/

Good luck, as there is AFAIK no easy and safe way out
    Matus

I'm not a scanner expert but my impression from a lot of reading is that $5000 isn't going to gain you enough improvement with 8x10 film to justify the extra $4000+ you're spending vs the Epson 700/750 or the Microtek M1. I used to scan 8x10 b&w film on my Epson 4990 and was very pleased with the results though my prints weren't more than roughly 2x. FWIW I think you'd be better off spending some of the $4000 on a computer that can handle the size files you're going to have when you scan 8x10 color film and using the balance to pay a lab for the scanning. But if some of the people here who are experts tell you differently, listen to them and ignore me.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by mikossant View Post
    Many scanners I see mentioned in the forums use scsi interfaces or some other primitive connection. I don't want an epson consumer scanner, but something that can provide me with the highest quality without costing more than $5,000. I plan to scan 8x10 slides.
    thank you so much
    Howtek 4500's usually cost about that much. Will blow you away with the quality off an 8x10. You can make a 40 inch print at 500 dpi, even at half resolution.

Do be careful, however, a refurb drum is around 1200-1500, so make sure the scanner comes with one, and the same goes for a mounting station. They usually come with software of some type, but you can upgrade to Digital Photo Lab for about $1500 (can do this later). Ultimately, it will probably cost you a little more than the 5K, but not too much more and it gives you a lot in return.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Say I decide to purchase a drum scanner, what else will I need. From what I've read the older scanners may require an older computer. Do I need an image setter? I've seen silverfast mentioned many times in the scanning forums. Do I need this?
    Thank you for enlightening me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikossant View Post
    Say I decide to purchase a drum scanner, what else will I need. From what I've read the older scanners may require an older computer. Do I need an image setter? I've seen silverfast mentioned many times in the scanning forums. Do I need this?
    Thank you for enlightening me.
    Silverfast is one option. I prefer Digital PhotoLab, by Aztek. Very professional piece of software.... It requires a PC to run it (its least likeable feature). I also use StudioPrint as a RIP and it also runs only on the PC, so I run scanning and printing away from my editing machine, which means the mac is free to do whatever I want with Photoshop without having to wait for some printing issue... Silverfast has versions that run on either mac or pc...

One also needs a drum, and a mounting station. Most often these come with a package, since you are buying used. Then you need some clear acetate, drum cleaning fluid, mounting fluid and tape. You can buy them all from Aztek, or there are less expensive versions of things here and there...

Then you need a little time to figure out how to mount... and maybe someone who will give you a few minutes to show you...

I hope that helps.

It gets easier...

Lenny
    EigerStudios

i picked up a screen cezanne with fresh bulbs and just about every accessory made for it for considerably less than your stated budget... it's a very, VERY good scanner - in an entirely different league than the epsons or microteks or any of the 'prosumer' units out there. it's as good as the tango drum scans i used to have made, and being that it's a flat bed, is much easier to operate. seybold tested a bunch of scanners - drum scanners included - a few years back and the screen cezanne came out on top. after working with it for several months, i can see why.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg View Post
    i picked up a screen cezanne with fresh bulbs and just about every accessory made for it for considerably less than your stated budget... it's a very, VERY good scanner - in an entirely different league than the epsons or microteks or any of the 'prosumer' units out there. it's as good as the tango drum scans i used to have made, and being that it's a flat bed, is much easier to operate. seybold tested a bunch of scanners - drum scanners included - a few years back and the screen cezanne came out on top. after working with it for several months, i can see why.
    I think its great that you are happy with your scanner. I don't suggest that you need to change at all. It's not a bad scanner. I have seen output from one of these... and suffice it to say the fellow comes to me to have scans made for the prints he's going to sell.

The Cezanne is not the top scanner, not even in the flatbed category. A scan from a Tango by someone who knew what they were doing should exceed the quality of the Cezanne easily. Without question on a transparency. Have Cramer do one for you... if you want to check it out. A Premier will blow it away in sharpness and detail.

Enjoy it in good health. I don't mean that facetiously, either. I hope it gives you many years of good use. I've been reminded that many of the folks on this forum are hobbyists, and at all different places in their respective photographic careers. There are plenty who may not have the resources to purchase a drum scanner, top flatbed, or even buy drum scans. There's nothing wrong with that - at all - I'm not rich either. All I am trying to say is that we ought to keep the record straight on things. And I sincerely don't mean to be unkind.

Lenny
    EigerStudios

if anyone would like to read the seybold report, shoot me an email or pm and i'll gladly send you a copy.

It's also available in the Yahoo Scan Hi-end files section... The real issue with the Seybold report is that it was aimed the prepress industry for output on press equipment 10 years ago, not photographers looking at different criteria today. Having read it many times, I'm not convinced it's worth the time to read.