Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: should I try and save this giant camera

should I try and save this giant camera

I just came into possession of the largest format camera I've ever seen. It will cause me much trouble to save it from the trash pile (as it's in a barn on a forclosed property), but it might be something someone could use.

http://picasaweb.google.com/uraniumj...eriousLFCamera

I've also got the lens assembly in front of me. It states: 12 in. F:9 Apochromat Artar red dot. the bellows have a few holes, but not bad, just really dusty.

Do I have a responsibility to save this camera (the track itself must be 20 ft. long) or is it simply a relic?

Talking Re: should I try and save this giant camera

My only question would be? What the hell are you going to do with it?

LOL

Re: should I try and save this giant camera

It's a special type of copy camera used in graphics. Think photocopying pictures reeeeeal big. At least that's what I think I remember it being for.

Keep the lens, it's worth something. The camera, it might be worth a play but will be costly for you to use. It's rare for somebody to want one of these.

I believe your camera is similar to this one, by the way.

Going to Tijuana soon...

I'd lose the track. Is the camera built for a 'normal' film size (11x14, 20 x24) and are there film holders? If the back and size are not somewhat standard it may not matter as any repair short of a partial rebuild will be a wast of time. On the flip side if you like big negs, have a studio and enjoy DIY projects this cameramy be big fun.

I have one similar sitting in my darkroom. It's an old process camera used in the graphic and printing industry before computers. This one was given to me several years ago just to haul it off. It has a light box for projection and I was going to use it for an enlarger before I found a regular 10x10 enlarger. The back is approx. 20x21.

"Do I have a responsibility to save this camera (the track itself must be 20 ft. long) or is it simply a relic?"

the wood may be worth something to a restorer but even that's a stretch. it would be hardwood and should burn well this winter.

If you don't want to keep it yourself, I would give someone a chance to come and get it.

Do you have a photographic project for it? If not, take the lens and be happy without the rest.

restore it, once it's done you will find a use for it

bob