Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photographer's Chair

Photographer's Chair

This chair is a part of my Great-Great Grandfather's photographic collection. He is seated in the chair in the 4th photograph, with his son (my Great-Grandfather) standing on the ladder. It is assumed he acquired the chair from a local photographer with whom he worked and it is known that he practiced the art of photography from the late 1800s into the early 1900s. The chair was made in the late 1800s by George Knell and marked as #3. Has anyone seen one of these before? If so, where?

Thank you,
    David

Re: Photographer's Chair

What a wonderful heirloom. Where was the photo taken?

It is really a lovely thing. I don't know how I've managed without one. Great grandfather's job was to hang the backgrounds right side up, I take it, or at least so they would look right side up on the groundglass? Or maybe you've got the photograph upside down.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 27-Jun-2008 at 20:52.

Cool. That's one funky chair alright--I'd like to shake its hand. I wonder what a #4 would look like? I'm getting the vapors just imagining. You really ought to do a series of portraits with the chair. I'd love to see photos of the rest of the collection too.

yes, I have seen it.
    If you have a look at the "Genius of Photography" series, in the first episode there is a bit with Osterman where he places himself in one of these with the only difference that this one had the structure to keep the head firm in place.
    Good find.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

How wonderful, having the chair and the vintage photograph of you ancestors in it! Yes, you have some photographs to make. Is the building where the original studio was housed still standing?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

My Great-Great Grandfather's name was Willis L. Worley. He had a studio in York Springs, PA, where the photographs were taken. He worked with photographer HJ Harman for a while. The building is along the main street of York Springs and still stands, but I haven't yet pinpointed the exact location. I'm unsure of why the background is upside down in the above photograph or why my Great-Grandfather is on a ladder, but it makes for a unique photo. Here are more photos of family members on the chair. The first one is Willis with his wife and son, the next two show Willis with a beard, and the last one is my Great-Great-Great Grandfather with his grandson.

That's awesome! I've personally never seen one before. Well, I probably have in old photographs but never paid attention.

Thanks for sharing!!!
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    It is really a lovely thing. I don't know how I've managed without one. Great grandfather's job was to hang the backgrounds right side up, I take it, or at least so they would look right side up on the groundglass? Or maybe you've got the photograph upside down.
    I think back in the 1800s they were still working out the kinks in the system!
    I've seen these wonderful old chairs in a photo studio. I'm looking for one to go with my Century Studio camera. They sometimes have a head rest of sorts, designed to keep the occupant immoblized for the duration of what was probably a rather long exposure time.

That's a great collection of family photographs. They certainly make me think about the kinds of family photographs I'd like to leave for future generations.