Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schneider or Rodenstock's lens

Schneider or Rodenstock's lens

Oren, thank you for your interesting comments on the OOF issue. I wish I knew m ore or could see this in images. I might not be able to access the article in Photo Technique, but will try to make shots between my lenses to see how they compare. Nevertheless, I guess this issue applies primarely to product and portrait photography, landscapes being in general sharp on the whole image.

Paul -

The issue applies very much to landscape photography. Almost everything I shoot is at middle range, which means no matter how far I stop down, the images are almost never anywhere near pan-focus. The character of the OOF image - indeed, just how it slides out of focus as it hits the edge of the conventionally-calculated depth-of- field and beyond - is critical for my purposes.

Cheers...

...Oren

I don't think you can tell the difference between the big four. Maybe there is some slight difference between an older lens. I shoot with vintage Goerz because they were my Grandfather's. But if I have to stop down another stop, that's no big deal for me. Where as the price for me would be the biggest choice in buying a new lens. Any one would probably be a good choice. If you want high quality & want to spend less I'd try looking for a late Goerz w/ multicoating in very good condition. You'll be getting an excellent lens for much less money than a new one. Stephen Jensen