Thread: Really Old Type 55

Really Old Type 55

Hi Everyone,

I was cleaning out the darkroom at my local college when I came across an unopened box of type 55, stamped with a date of 1988. Just a while back I picked up my first 4x5 camera and it came with a 545 back... which I thought would be useless. I guess not! My first couple tries didn't get anything, just smeared dark brown polaroid gunk and no images anywhere. But after a few disappointments, one of them worked! Polaroids are awesome! Now I have to go out and buy a fuji back and blow tons of money on their stuff...

Attached are two scans of exposures that mostly worked. These were the only two successes out of 6 or 7 tries. I think it's pretty neat these were manufactured when I was only one year old, and here I am today, making images on them. I rated it at 50 and let them develop for 25 seconds.

This is a photograph of an old painting that belonged to my great grandmother. f/16 at half a second, little bit of front tilt

Here's the side of the storage building for my apartment. Not very interesting, but still an image on a 20 year old polaroid. f/22 at 1/30th

I'm off to buy some sodium sulfite. Thanks for looking!
    -Zachary Gauthier

Re: Really Old Type 55

Zack-- Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your work. I like the top shot--chemical smears and all. This is a fine time to be falling in love with Type 55, but maybe you'll find some Fuji instant you like.