Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to Drum Scan/Print Color Negatives

Where to Drum Scan/Print Color Negatives

OK, I’ve selected my 4x5 color negatives for printing. Which U.S. labs have you had the best results for high quality drum scans and prints, specifically from color negatives?

From earlier posts here, I gather that a scanning service using an Aztec Premier with its supposedly more suitable software for color negatives and an experienced operator, would give me a head start.

Mostly to save shipping time, I’m looking for a lab which can offer both the scanning and printing on a Lightjet or similar under one roof.

Photocraft Imaging in Colorado is the only lab I’ve found so far. I will send in a couple negatives to be printed at about 3 feet wide to determine quality, then decide if I should be shooting 8x10 negatives instead!

I want to offer a sincere thank you to all of you who post here regularly. While I’ve had over 30 years of professional photography experience, my very recent exploration of large format photography has been made much easier because of the practical information you’ve shared.

Michael E. Gordon

Re: Where to Drum Scan/Print Color Negatives

In California, both Calypso and West Coast Imaging drum scan and print (Chromira at WCI, Lightjet at Calypso). I haven't had color neg scans from either, but can attest to WCI's drum scans and both labs printing and handling abilities.

Unfortunately, neither of these labs appear to be particularly color negative-friendly, both using the less desirable Tango scanner (for color negatives) while WCI specifically stating that better results can be had with transparencies.

Michael E. Gordon

OK, then try this: Danny Burk for your color neg scans, and Calypso or WCI for your prints.

Preston Birdwell

Give WCI a call and talk with them. I have found them to be very helpful. They do have a Creo iQsmart3, if a Tango scan isn't workable for you.

Creo Scans at WCI .

-PB

ps: Danny Burke does great scans at a reasonable price! Signed: A happy customer.
    Last edited by Preston; 25-Jun-2008 at 20:05. Reason: Spelling, as usual
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I use Imagecraft in Phoenix. Top-notch work, good prices.
    Mike

Smile Re: Where to Drum Scan/Print Color Negatives

My name is Craig Carlson and have been working with high resolution scanning for black and white negatives for over 10 years and then print using carbon pigment inks. Over the years I have spent thousands of dollars having labs do my scanning. Most ”professional labs” do not have a clue, or the personnel to make great scans from black and white negatives. Some labs I have contacted have even refused to do them. The quality of a high resolution scan is based soley on the type of scanner and operator experience and knowledge about negative making and subsequent printing of a scanned image. Making negatives for high resolution scanning is an art in itself. Yes, everything you have learned about the darkroom is not the same when making negatives for scanning and subsequent printing to inkjet. Or maybe you found this out yourself?
    I have always sought out the most passionate and knowledgeable people about photographic technique before making decisions about my workflow in black and white image making. I would suggest you speak with Lenny Eiger of Eiger photo in Petaluma, California. His companies web site is http://www.eigerphoto.com/.
    Lenny has been doing my scanning for the last four years and has taught me much about the difference between the darkroom negative and the scanning negative. He has the finest scanner in the Universe and he knows how to use it. He is constantly testing emulsions and developer combination to fine tune digital black and white workflow.
    I highly recommend him!

I'd use this as an opportunity to work with Lenny if I were down there as well. I would say his equipment and skills would be more suited to negs than other mentioned here so far.

Tyler

Try these folks:

http://www.chromatics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Boley View Post
    I'd use this as an opportunity to work with Lenny if I were down there as well. I would say his equipment and skills would be more suited to negs than other mentioned here so far.

Tyler
    Based on pricing from others, Lenny has an easy case for providing the best value on the entire market today IMHO.