Thread: Tips on scanning prints?

Tips on scanning prints?

I'm going to spend some time scanning black and white and colour prints as part of a project to digitize some of the photographic history of the small fishing community where I'm spending the summer.

I'm wondering whether there is anything that I need to know and/or tips about scanning prints as distinct from negatives. I only have experience scanning the latter.

I'll be using an Epson V750 scanner.

Thanks.

Re: Tips on scanning prints?

Prints have much less resolution than the host negative. A modern print only needs the resolution of the "human eyes" seeing it, or roughly 300 ppi (6 lp/mm). Thus, I scan at 600-900 ppi to be sure of capturing all the information in the image using digital technology [Nyquist limit].

If you will be scanning Ambrotypes, Tintypes (Ferrotypes), albumen prints or <1935 printed-out-prints (POP; generally warm brown tones; made in a printing frame; develop by light not chemicals) all from 1840-ish to 1880-ish, these materials are either original camera negatives (Ambro & Tin) or direct duplicates made on high resolution photographic materials (a coated albumen or collodion paper). There are many details, so know that I have rounded the corners. I'd scan these originals at 2400 to 3600 ppi.

Look at: Reilly on http://albumen.stanford.edu/library/...stability.html. Use the search function on the albumen website; there is a lot of early photographic literature there, and some excellent modern handbooks on early materials.

Tim Vitale
    Paper, Photographs &
    Electronic Media Conservator
    Film Migration (still) to Digital Format
    Digital Imaging & Artwork Facsimiles
    Preservation & Imaging Consulting
    Preservation Associates
    1500 Park Avenue
    Suite 132
    Emeryville, CA 94608

510-594-8277
    510-594-8799 fax
    tjvitale@ix.netcom.com
    http://briefcase.yahoo.com/tvitale@pacbell.net
    [Use of the above URL may require a "Yahoo! ID" to download files.]

Albumen website (2001) http://albumen.stanford.edu/
    VideoPreservation Website (2007) http://videopreservation.stanford.edu

Thanks,

People are starting to come by with their photos. There are a fair number that date from the late 1800s to just before the war, and in many cases they are the most interesting. Some of the photos, from around the turn of the last century and obviously taken by a professional photographer during a trip to the big city (St. John's, Newfoundland, or maybe Halifax or Boston), do indeed have a brownish tinge and a good deal of detail.

Your advice is very helpful.

Color alone is not an identifer. Developed-out-print[s] (DOP) generally have a neutral to slight greenish tone. Collodion, in general, have a more purplish tone. None of this is hard or fast, just guidelines. If you can find the Kodak book "Care and Identification of 19th Century Photographic Prints" by J. Reilly, Kodak # G-2S, pub 11/1993, this will help ID print types. It has a fold-out card that is very helpful. You might find a used copy at amazon or on eBay.

Tim
    510-594-8277