Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ivey Imaging in Seattle closing July 1

Re: Ivey Imaging in Seattle closing July 1

I just spoke with someone at Ivey Portland and was told "Big Picture" lab or something like that is buying the film side of the Ivey, Seattle.
    If I hear more I post.

Is Sunset Color Lab in California still in business?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Vinnedge View Post
    Ivey was more than $2.50/sheet for E-6. Pacific Color at Green Lake does not do sheet film processing (I checked, believe me), and Prolab on Leary Way may not exist, as they do not answer their phone.
    Thanks, I mixed ProLab in Ballard which went commerical-only and digital a few years ago (but haven't been there to see if they still exist) and Pacific Color in Green Lake (last used them about 4 years ago). Last I did film with Ivey (last year) it was $2.50 per sheet no matter the type, color slide/negative or b&w, and push/pull instructions.

It would cool if another company bought the lab, it seems a waste to just quit. Does anyone know their finances to know if the lab was profitable? And I'm curious why the owners wanted out after buying back the company from the previous owners not that long ago.

What's the best way to ship exposed, unprocessed sheet film? I haven't had problems sending 35mm fim through the USPS, but is sheet film different?
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

I was told that the company was sold to yet another group who decided to just cash in on the equipment. The lease on the building is due to expire in July, hence the timing (so I was told). I did inquire with Glazer's, but they are not interested.

As to shipping undeveloped film, I just don't know what to expect. I will be trying Fedex to start. I'll let you know.

I have had good luck with Calypso Imaging also and the price is right.

Pro Lab in Seattle went out of business a couple months ago. I was lucky and won their Scitex Eversmart Supreme scanner at auction as well as a couple Mac's, a drill press and a few other items.

Ben

Scott, I have not had any problem sending sheet film via USPS. I also use UPS and FedEx and have never had film damaged.

Ben

I am the original poster of this thread and am so happy to come back here one day later and see all these responses. I wasn't sure what I was going to do and even had a dark fear that I might not be able to find a place to process my beloved 4x6 chromes at all.

I'm glad to learn from this thread that labs are available just a little ways to the south. To tell the truth, even though I live only about 17 miles from Ivey and it's interestate all the way, I sometimes FedEx my film to them anyway because with Seattle traffic it can be a 90 minute round trip to drop it off. When you take into account gas and time lost from my day job, the $15 FedEx bill is worth it especially considering they pick up from my front porch. So sending my film to Oregon or California isn't such a big change. I'd still rather pick up in person, but you can't have everything. And hey, if anyone doesn't know by now that large format is all about compromise then they're just a big poser. :-)

Thanks everyone for the follow ups. And who knows maybe someone will keep the Ivey film lab alive after all.

David

jetcode

NewLab and Calypso are top shelf

For the last five years I've been running slides from digital files for artists that need them for jurying and for speakers. I generally run rotary tube, but I've recently acquired a Noritsu QSF-410. The nature of a leader-card machine is that pulling the development cuts the time in every bath, so I'll be keeping the Photo-Therm machine available to avoid any issues with that. (Push and pull on that system changes only the First Dev time, so it doesn't compromise archival qualities by shortening bleach and fix times.)

I've been keeping most of my setup small so that I could profitably run a small volume of film, which is all that we're likely to see in the future, so I haven't gone out and picked up a Refrema. Those are being given away these days, if you have the budget to rent a big truck and provide a space for it. But just about everybody with a Refrema is going under, so I won't be going that way.

At any rate, I'm completely open to running film for others, although I've probably only done fifty rolls in the last five years. Because regular mail is overnight in the Seattle area, I'm now expecting to pick up some of the trickle of business that ProLab, PacifiColor, and Ivey couldn't make money on for shooters in western Washington and the Portland area.

Should I invest in the 4x5 tanks for my PhotoTherm? If there is a regular need for 4x5 I would be interested in hearing from those who would take advantage of it.

Van

Oh, for those that wondered: PacifiColor long ago told clients that they "would not fix" their E-6 system when it broke, and apparently that happened as they no longer do E-6 at all. ProLab was liquidated two or three months ago, so the digital operation they had set their hopes on wasn't enough either.

I have just spoken to Dana, the owner of Panda Photographic Lab in Seattle (www.pandalab.com) and have been informed that he is actively researching the possibility of setting up for E-6 sheet film processing. At this time, he is interested in hearing feedback from the community. All interested parties please call him at (206)285-7091.

Panda has maintained a very high reputation in Seattle for several years as a custom processor of B/W film and E-6 roll film. They are now the only logical successor to Ivey.