Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Photoclam Multiflex - Arca Swiss C1 Cube clone

Re: Photoclam Multiflex - Arca Swiss C1 Cube clone

My replacement arrived a few days ago, it's exhibiting much less movement than the original, however it still moves a bit. I think this might be due to the gitzo tripod however, I'm not sure.

Photoclam/cindy was very helpful and I have nothing but good things to say about their service. They shipped the replacement without having me send back my original, still waiting for their instructions on who/where/how to send that back.

GD Whalen Photography

The arca-swiss cube is an amazing head when used for the style of photography that it is best suited: architecture, landscape and table top studio work.

Arca swiss own no patent on the C1!
    It's a 3 axis stage goniometer with a quick release stuck on top, google it. It's basically a precision stage used for a variety of applications.
    http://spectracore.com/Merchant2/mer...oduct_Count=41

I can pick them up second hand in my local industrial hardware store for about $75, exactly the same as the c1 without the clamp and pan.

Korean photoclam has marketed an equal product at its market cost without inflating it like arca swiss have.
    Nathaniel McMahon - art photography

Quote Originally Posted by wildtypitch View Post

I can pick them up second hand in my local industrial hardware store for about $75, exactly the same as the c1 without the clamp and pan.
    Could you explain a little more on this, where are you located and what stores are you referring to?

Yes, please explain more Nathaniel. I've seen good goniometers like the one you linked to but often they cost $1000 and up. So by the time you adapt it to a tripod, add a pan function, etc., you may as well just get the Arca.

By the way, how much are the Photo Clams going for these days? I saw one on ebay for around $1400, but the C1 is $1700 at B&H. To me that's not enough of a difference to go with a knock-off named after a clam.

If I could get a precision xy3 goniometer for $75, well that would be worthwhile.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I live in Beijing. I'm considering doing it myself but want to see the multiflex in person to see how sturdy/tight it is, and to compare with the goniometers available. From the one I saw in the DIY store it was uncannily similar, even having the same latch that enables the whole thing to be tilted to a 90 degree position. I have an appointment with a dealer here. It sells for 6400RMD (wholesale Price as I got contact via the Korean mfr apparently). Will keep you posted. But perhaps after buying two pan bases and getting to thing machined it may not be worth it. Mind you I have just seen a nice pan base by Chinese benro. Going for 600rmb.
    The other highly tempting on for the wallet option is a manfrotto 410. Negs- no arcade style release, no on axis movements. Plus- sealed mechanism, over 1/4 of the cost of the multiflex. Won't impress clients as much though.

I have been using my Arca C1 on an almost daily basis for 5 years and still say it's the best single photo thing I ever bought..Evan Clarke

An interesting reading

US patent #6,252,727

Look at figures 6, 7 and 8.