Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bodie

Re: Bodie

I believe the Mono Inn is closed but excellent food can be found nearby, try the Whoa Nellie Deli, at the Mobil (Gas Mart) on Tioga Rd. & 395 just south of Lee Vining. Terrific menu and food! (At least last time I was there).

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    The Mono Inn is owned by Ansel's son and daughter-in-law Michael and Jean Adams and run by a grand daughter - Sarah. I don't know if there is lodging there, they were going to build some a few years ago but I do not know if they did. The food is good for dinner but not cheap.

As I said, there is no camping in the Bodie area. Otherwise, there have been many good suggestions.

steve simmons
    I was by there less than two weeks ago and it looked to me as if there were now rooms at the Inn. It is a classy old resort and it appeared that all the old bungalows have been rebuilt and modernized while still keeping the classic retro atmosphere. There were cars parked out front and it looked like the bungalows were being occupied anyway. It would be worth a phone call to find out.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hi John, thanks for the Inn update; that is good news if it is open for business.

How about the Whoa Nellie Deli, is it still going strong and still serving the good food?

Hi Merg! The Whoa Nelle Deli is open for the season, complete with the circus trapeze out front. I had dinner there and the food was excellent. They still have lobster taquitos and mango margaritas(my bride's favorite) seared ahi tuna salad, buffalo meatloaf, pizza etc... on the menu. I don't think the schedule for their parking lot concert series is out yet though. It's a fun place.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Preston Birdwell

"How about the Whoa Nellie Deli, is it still going strong and still serving the good food?"

Merg, I was there in mid-May, just before Tioga opened...The food was excellent, the service was great, and the chocolate cake with raspberry sauce is one of the all-time greats! Highly recommended!

-PB
    Last edited by Preston; 23-Jun-2008 at 22:54. Reason: Spelling...as usual.
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Here is the web site

http://www.monoinn.com/

The restaurant is closed for 2008. There does not appear to be any lodging there.

steve simmons

Smile Re: Bodie

Stop it-Stop it. Your making me sick with envy! I had family who lived in the area between Bishop and Momouth along 395. Had a hotel called Wally and Jo's. I understand that it may still be there. You can see Crowley lake from it. I've been feeling the urge to revisit and seeing some of the sites again.
    Oh if gas were cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    Here is the web site

http://www.monoinn.com/

The restaurant is closed for 2008. There does not appear to be any lodging there.

steve simmons
    Interesting!
    I wonder what all the activity going on there is about?? They didn't look like contractors doing rennovations. It sure is a beautiful piece of property.

I guess I'll just have to settle for the Lobster taquitos and mango margaritas at the Whoa Nellie next time I'm passing through Lee Vining

Paul Cocklin

Wow! Thanks for all the replies, I wish I'd asked earlier as I left yesterday morning and missed most of them. I ended up staying at a motel in Bridgeport. For some reason I thought the distance was greater that it is.

This was my first trip to Bodie and it definitely won't be my last. Unfortunately, the entire route up to Tahoe on 50, then over Monitor Pass and down 395 was choked with smoke. I think the fires in Fairfield, along with all the little ones around Sacramento contributed to it, but there was a prescribed burn going on somewhere around Bridgeport that didn't help matters any. So the sky was a complete white while I was there.

Still, I managed to burn 10 sheets of 8x10 and 5 rolls of 120. The rangers were very friendly. (I was the first one there this morning, even before the ranger had raised the flag ) As soon as I got there yesterday afternoon I knew that there was too much to try and do in only one short trip, so I focused (pun intended) on most of the structures near to parking lot. The next trip will be for the cemetery and the eastern part of the park.

No matter how often it happens, I still love it when people walk up to me and compliment me on 'that pretty wooden camera'. It's a great ice breaker and I had wonderful conversations with a couple from Montana and a guy from Texas. I just wish they would wait until I get out from under the darkcloth.

Jim, I did one shot with the projection petzval I got from you; I'm crossing my fingers that it turns out ok. It was of an interior with a broken down wagon.

The real surprise for me, though, was coming home. Instead of driving back up to Tahoe I decided to take the Sonora Pass to Rt. 49. Holy S***! That is one spectacular drive. I saw one valley that held it's own against Yosemite, and there were several waterfalls going at around 10K feet. Not much snowpack left, though, and still very smokey. On a clear day it must be amazing.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions. John, I'm gonna have to get that pie on the next trip.