Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silvergrain Clearfix Alkaline Fixer

Silvergrain Clearfix Alkaline Fixer

Someone gave me a gallon of Silvergrain Clearfix Alkaline Fixer so it would be thrown out. Is this stuff any good? I looked it up and read that if you use it, you should wash the print - after the stop bath and before putting it into the fixer - so that the acid in the stop bath won't ruin the alkaline fixer. Is it worth using this stuff?

Thumbs up Re: Silvergrain Clearfix Alkaline Fixer

Hi,

We are the manufacturer of Clearfix Alkaline Fixer and you can read full information about this product on the Silvergrain Clearfix and Clearwash Information Sheet

The information that you have read elsewhere is incorrect as it does not apply to Clearfix Alkaline. I think you must have been reading about another alkaline fixer, as Clearfix is the only alkaline fixer currently available which is specifically designed to work with a stop bath WITHOUT requiring an intermediate rinse.

--Jon Mided

Digitaltruth Photo
    www.digitaltruth.com

Re: Silvergrain Clearfix Alkaline Fixer

I meant so it "wouldn't" be thrown out. Anyone? I have tried it, and it seems ok. It smells pretty bad though...

I use the Photo Formulary TF4 alkaline fixer. It's smell is somewhat reminiscent of cat piss on a rotten egg, but it works well. Perhaps it's my imagination, but it seems that prints tone better in selenium after using that then they do after a bath in Kodafix. The print color is much more appealing.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Jim Ewins

I use the TF-4 and stop bath is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    I use the Photo Formulary TF4 alkaline fixer. It's smell is somewhat reminiscent of cat piss on a rotten egg, but it works well. Perhaps it's my imagination, but it seems that prints tone better in selenium after using that then they do after a bath in Kodafix. The print color is much more appealing.
    Michael,
    what color?
    Thank you,
    DOmenico

Look on digitaltruth.com. The makers claim that they have made some breakthroughs in environmentally sound photocemistry. I have some, but I haven't used it yet. Alkaline fixers are supposed to be easier to wash out of the print.

When I use alkaline fixers, I use a fresh water stop instead of a stop bath.

Thumbs up Re: Silvergrain Clearfix Alkaline Fixer

I tried to post earlier, but for some reason it hasn't shown up. My company manufactures this product and it is the only alkaline fixer currently on the market that does NOT require an intermediate water rinse in between the stop bath and fixer. Of course, if you are trying to maintain an alkaline environment throughout your processing sequence you should avoid using a stop bath altogether and just use plain water, but if you want to use Clearfix Alkaline as a regular fixer, then it will work just fine with your stop bath due to its advanced buffering system.
    --Jon Mided

Digitaltruth Photo
    www.digitaltruth.com

Excuse my ignorance-I'm new at this- why is it an advantage to keep the ph on the alkaline side?

I would like to know if anyone else has tried Silvergrain Liquidol. I found the results disappointing with very low contrast, muddy results.