Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Color neg or trans

Re: Color neg or trans

I've found that slides are much easier to scan, especially on flatbed scanners. You can also see exactly what you're shot looks like if you have a positive on it, and just wait till you have enough winners to send to a drum scanning service. I personally, cannot read a color negative so right now i'm committed to one type of black and white film, and one type of slide film.

Re: Color neg or trans

I've been trying all types of film lately. Color negative certainly seems doable to me. But I like color transparency better. And even within these films, remember that there are huge differences in films.

Within color films, I've recently shot Velvia 50, Velvia 100, Provia, Astia and E100VS. All of them have big differences in their properties. Provia is what I use most often, but all of them can be useful to me for some applications.

Within the color negative I've just been dappling and am now trying the pro color neg films from Kodak and Fuji in 35mm format to see how they'll scan. If i find that something will have an advantage, I might add some color neg 4X5 quickloads to my bag.

If I were to limit myself to only one color film and one B&W film, I suspect my choice might be Provia for color and Kodak TMY for B&W. But why put those constraints on yourself?