Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Combi tank follies

Combi tank follies

Developed my first 4x5 negs tonight. Here's what I learned:

1) Completely read the instructions, no matter how obtuse they may be, before asking stupid questions.

2) Don't drain the dev from the bottom tap. It's too slow.

3) After draining the dev from the bottom tap anyhow, don't forget to put the cap back on or else you'll have stop all over your kitchen counter.

4) Draining out of the top is also mighty slow.

5) The HP Combi Plan leaks out the top drain, so it's not possible to do inversions without leaking developer all over your kitchen counter, despite what the extremely obtuse instructions say.

6) Despite all that, I still managed to get images on my negs! Can't wait to see what they look like when they're dry.

Re: Combi tank follies

I have had pretty good success with these tanks - because they fill from the bottom up and drain from the top down - I always use the bottom drain to empty it with mine. Also, I shake mine from side to side instead of inverting it - that also seems to work OK for me.

Hi, it should drain as fast out of the lower drain if you take the cap off of the top spout to let air in. Also, make sure you screw in the top vent completely and it won't leak when doing inversions. I wear rubber gloves because the spout is slippery when wet and hard to tighten and unscrew.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

My Combi works fine; but I am happy I spent the money for my Jobo Expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Hi, it should drain as fast out of the lower drain if you take the cap off of the top spout to let air in. Also, make sure you screw in the top vent completely and it won't leak when doing inversions. I wear rubber gloves because the spout is slippery when wet and hard to tighten and unscrew.

Jon
    Excellent advice. I never had a problem using the HP tank.

Thanks, Jon. I'll try that next time I dev.

I had the top drain screwed down as tight as it would go. Still leaked when I inverted it. Oh, well. Not a big deal.

Ross

..and substitute something like fishing line for the dubious string which keeps the caps and the taps together for only a limited time, nothing worse than chasing around for a replacement if you lose the caps.

BTW I invert and wear gloves for both purchase and for preserving the health of my skin.

Regards - Ross

Quote Originally Posted by captainslack View Post
    Thanks, Jon. I'll try that next time I dev.

I had the top drain screwed down as tight as it would go. Still leaked when I inverted it. Oh, well. Not a big deal.
    Are you missing the washers that go on the drain plugs to prevent leaks? It also sounds like you are not opening the Light Tight Hose Connectors air path by giving them a slight twist open before filling or emptying. As I am the one that wrote those instructions from the original German ones you might want to call us if you need help with the tank. 800 735-4373. I will not be in tomorrow or Friday and will be unavailable the better part of Thursday.

jetcode

I used 2 tanks - once you get used to it you will be developing 12 sheets at a time two handed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Are you missing the washers that go on the drain plugs to prevent leaks? It also sounds like you are not opening the Light Tight Hose Connectors air path by giving them a slight twist open before filling or emptying. As I am the one that wrote those instructions from the original German ones you might want to call us if you need help with the tank. 800 735-4373. I will not be in tomorrow or Friday and will be unavailable the better part of Thursday.
    No, I did not receive the washers. That would explain the leak. Would I need a specific set from HP or could I buy some from my local hardware store?

Yes, I am twisting the connectors to open the path. Sounds like I should have opened the top connector to let in air.