Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: View Camera Magazine suggestions?

Ron Miller

Re: View Camera Magazine suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    nearly any image can be made to be flat and lifeless ... film or digital
    Thanks grasshopper.

We need a magizine about real photography, not about cameras that don't use film

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by robert amsden View Post
    We need a magizine about real photography, not about cameras that don't use film
    define 'real' photography ... keep it short and be conclusive ...

Dr. Gilde in the video from Photokina that's been floating around for a year or two says it's not a real photograph unless you use a black cloth.

I read View Camera here in Italy, receiving it from MIke Walker UK instead of Taos Photographic FR. I' m very grateful to Steve Simmons for give me the opportunity of reading such a beautiful photographic magazine, the only one I buy, but I must admit I'm a little bit tired of waiting he decided of publishing it WEEKLY! Please mr Simmons let us be pleased more frequently with your magazine! I've read my 15 copies collection of View Camera so many times that everytime I picked up one I know all the articles before opening. I would also thank so much Doremus Scudder for his article on camera movements, The very best on this subject and to me the very best in all respect. I also like very much to see the images and, as a beginner, not so much the very tecnical ones like " what Scheipflug did'nt tell you ", on the whole I like it very very much. ( hey mr. Simmons, if you do not agree with weekly please fortnightly... )
    Daniele Minetto

Quote Originally Posted by Daniele Minetto View Post
    I read View Camera here in Italy, receiving it from MIke Walker UK instead of Taos Photographic FR. I' m very grateful to Steve Simmons for give me the opportunity of reading such a beautiful photographic magazine, the only one I buy, but I must admit I'm a little bit tired of waiting he decided of publishing it WEEKLY! Please mr Simmons let us be pleased more frequently with your magazine! I've read my 15 copies collection of View Camera so many times that everytime I picked up one I know all the articles before opening. I would also thank so much Doremus Scudder for his article on camera movements, The very best on this subject and to me the very best in all respect. I also like very much to see the images and, as a beginner, not so much the very tecnical ones like " what Scheipflug did'nt tell you ", on the whole I like it very very much. ( hey mr. Simmons, if you do not agree with weekly please fortnightly... )
    Daniele Minetto
    Daniele,
    Here in the US it comes out every two months.
    That's not a bad thing.
    I read it cover to cover a couple of times at least. If it came out every week I'd never get any thing done!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

i definitely would love more articles on alternative (old-school processes), maybe even including tips on building a UV light source.

also, i know there have been loads of articles on old lenses, but i'd love to see one geared in a different direction. what bits of ancient glass fit on small 4x5 boards? loads of these lenses were made for larger formats and just won't fit. it's pretty easy to find info on coverage, but dimensions aren't always on the spec sheets.

another thought: for marketing and exposure purposes - how about setting up some sort of event or issue involving large format shooters from pdn's 30? probably not feasible, but maybe the idea can be a point of departure for something else.

Steve, I have been reading VC for years, could it be better ....sure things could always be better. VC is tops in its field, there is no other mag that comes close. The mag cant be all things to all people, I think you know that. I would like to see it become a monthly publication. I am sure a survey of current subscribers would agree. I recently subscribed (I got tired of having the latest issue being sold out at Borders) . I did have a problem with recieving my first issue, I called your office , the girl on the phone was very freindly and took care of it immediately. Just thought I would let you know. I had read in another post of someone with a similar problem and for whatever reason they could not get it resolved.

f295

if Steve's still taking suggestions for VC, How about the results from the Foto3 competition? i'm not trying to stir the pot but people deserve to know....

Overall Grand Prize:________________

Student Competition
    First Prize:_____________________
    Second Prize Black & White: _____________________
    Second Prize Color: _____________________
    10 Honorable Mention Awards

Master Photographer Competition
    First Prize: _____________________
    Second Prize Black & White:_____________________
    Second Prize Color:_____________________
    10 Honorable Mention Awards

The F295 Historic Process Workbook is now available on Amazon: