Thread: Display boxes for backlit film prints

Display boxes for backlit film prints

Kodak makes a product called ENDURA Transparency Display Material which is intended for backlit display. It's designed to be exposed on a digital machine (LightJet, Chromira, etc.) and run through an RA-4 process (at half speed IIRC). And that's why I'm asking this question in the Digital Processing sub-forum. Moderators please move this thread if it's in the wrong place.

My question is: How does one display it? I'm sure there are companies out there that make back lighting display boxes for this purpose -- primarily aimed at conventions, trade shows, and in-store displays no doubt. What I want is for art -- like framing, something you could sell through a gallery (I know, I should be so lucky). Anything like that out there?

And no, I'm not going to build my own. ;-)

Bruce Watson

Re: Display boxes for backlit film prints

I have been contemplating this also. Has anyone thought about using a monitor as a film backlight source. The monitor would be jacked up in brightness and displayed in white only (blank). Would the intensity be high enough to illuminate thru say 2.5 neg density or even 3.5 for a fuller tonal range?

Bruce, all the commercial lightboxes I've seen might be too expensive to include in a sale of artwork; $500 to $2000. But given the declining prices of computer flat screens maybe this could be an option in a modest size. Dunno.

Nate Potter

From the information on their site it appears that there are actually two different products. The first has a clear base and is designed for use where the light display has diffusion built into the design. The second does not require diffusion.

I believe that a lot of menus in fast food restaurants use something like this material. Trade shows, as was mentioned, is another application.

If I was planning on using this material, I would look toward using flourescent lighting.

I don't think that any existing frame for art display exists...at least not to my knowledge.

I am strongly considering another approach on this. My approach involves using digital projection (DLP) of a slide show production to amplify upon still image photography, the basis of the imagery, and it's presentation. This would appear to have the potential of greater viewer impact to compliment still imagery. Andy Goldsworthy has done something similar to this with his artwork but the last I observed from him was a video production viewed on a television. His approach was quite effective but a larger projected production would appear to have more impact...at least in my frame of reference.

I gather that you are looking for another presentation of individual images whereas my aim would be to present the images as a cohesive production. The video production, in my application, would not be sold...only used as a marketing or presentation medium.

Logan makes thin, fairly affordable 5400K lightpads that can be used for display, but I don't think they come larger than 11x14". They're lightweight enough, that they could probably be mounted in a more attractive enclosure, like a frame or even in a frame behind a mat. I've used an 8x10" lightpad to display 8x10" color transparencies--

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Slim_Edge.html

Thanks for the input so far.

I just want to re-emphasize that I am not looking to coble something together. I'm looking to buy a finished no-assembly-required (at least as much as possible) light box designed for the display of transparencies. If there aren't any being aimed at a gallery-like setting for art, lets broaden the search to commercial.

Some company or companies makes light boxes for commercial use, at least for in-store display and trade shows. Anyone who's been to a mall in North America has seen these light boxes in great numbers. Who makes these light boxes? Any pointers (URLs hopefully) welcome.

Bruce Watson

Bruce,

Have you checked with JW in Raleigh? They make convention displays of all types and might be able to help you.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rosenberg View Post
    Bruce,

Have you checked with JW in Raleigh? They make convention displays of all types and might be able to help you.

Mike
    I was going to ask them next time I had some C-41 for them to process. But that will likely be in July sometime; I was just asking while I was thinking about it. And I didn't think it was that hard a question. Which is interesting in and of itself, yes?

Bruce Watson

Bruce,

They are pretty much glorified x-ray viewing boxes; they may have tubes of specific wavelength. You could perhaps pick up one or two cheap from the state surplus. The x-ray boxes used to be used a lot in molecular biology labs. Check Duke and UNC surplus also.

Mike