Thread: Venture County of California

Venture County of California

My son has a swimming meet next week in Venture from Thursday to Sunday. I have booked a hotel for us for three days. After performing the usual duties of swim dad, I will be able to find 2-3 hours each day to shoot. Any interesting places from those who know the area? Thanks.

Re: Venture County of California

Hi Hugo!
    Olivas Adobe Historical Park might interest you, it's a cool two story adobe ca 1847 in the "Monterey" style. 4200 Olivas Park Drive. #805-644-4346
    San Buenaventura Mission at 225 E. Main St. ca 1782-1809 is also a fine adobe you might find worth checing out. #805-648-4496
    The public pier might also present some interestng opportunities.
    Good luck to your son!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Hugo, if I wasn't headed to a carbon workshop in Hayward I would show you around. I've had a lot of luck up off of highway 33 on the way to Mariposa. Go north out of Ventura toward Ojai. Take the road north into the Angeles National Forest. Only problem in this area is no cell service.
    There are some great old parks in town and many old Victorian buildings. The courthouse off of California street is way cool. I have meant to shoot it with the 8x20 for some time now but who knows? Will they arrest me if I do? Public building and all. The mission is nice and there are several old oil fields to the north. You can get a great shot under the pier if you don't mind being accosted by the homeless camped there. There is also the harbor and the boats in the Ventura Keys. If I can think of more I'll let you know. Good luck to your son!

Jim

Dave Karp

Hugo,

You can also run up the coast to Santa Barbara. It is not too far away. There is another mission there, beaches, architecture, UC - Santa Barbara.

You could also just "get lost" among the multitude of farms in the area...lots of good shooting there. Orchards, lawn farms, fruit & vegetable farms. Interesting stuff.

Eric Woodbury

VenturA

Emma Wood State Beach at the end of West Main can be nice. I like all the round stones there. Further up it is a big sandy beach. Nice oaks trees up in Ojai (pronounced Oh-Hi).
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com