Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1930s Deardorff rear extension mechanism

Re: 1930s Deardorff rear extension mechanism

Pic:

Quote Originally Posted by john wilton View Post
    Jim, no serial number. Square lensboard, steel swing turntable...that makes it 1938-42 according to Ken's page? No serial number. I thought I found NO.1508 stamped on a side rail, but when I saw it was on both sides of the camera I realized I was looking at BOSTON upside down!

I partly removed the bottom rail. (The front extension drive shaft prevents complete removal without major camera disassembly, because the drive knob is fixed to the shaft on this side).

Sure enough the pinion is right there, rotating freely on the shaft. It would have to be brazed in situ I imagine. Not something I have ever done. Is it something I might contemplate doing? Can it be done with the shaft in the camera as in the pic?

When I first came to New York the city was littered with machine workshops. Gone to condos, every one. Or China. With the back/bellows/lensboard removed I could take the base to Martys Camera Repair in Queens...or perhaps an auto repair shop would be more appropriate?
    If you take all of the screws out of the side rails that the axles pass through you can take just the metal pieces and not worry about scorched wood.

I'm really glad this question came up. I have a 5x7 Deardorff of the same vintage with the same problem. I'll inspect it more thoroughly and see if the repairs described can put it right.

Dan
    Dan Williams
    Enumclaw WA

Unhappy Re: 1930s Deardorff rear extension mechanism

John you have to remove the shaft and pinion to braze it unless you want to turn your dorff to ashes!!! I silver soldered my, which involves a propane plumbers torch and heating the metal to quite high temperatures.

To get the shaft out you need to do the following;
    1) Remove the stop for the front standard and roll it off the bed.
    2) Remove the small stop screw on the side rail so you can roll the rear frame off the bed.
    3) Remove the two metal retainer strips on each side of the bed.

Once this is done you will see the front and rear shaft and pinions clearly.

4) Remove the brass retainer clamps for the rear shaft.

The shaft can then be removed from the bed.

If you are not comfortable doing the silver solder work, take it to a jeweler and they should do it for a nominal fee. Just be sure you have the pinion properly positioned on the shaft. Just mark the shaft with the shaft and pinion in the bed slot so the pinion is properly placed. Reassamble by working backwards through the steps.

It sounds worse than it actually is to do the dis-assembly. Take notes, pictures and use baggies to keep track of the pieces.

Kevin

I hope you will forgive me for hijacking this thread, I have a slightly related question.
    I played with my 8x10 'dorff today for the first time after a few weeks and the rear extension is extremely stiff for the first few inches of travel. It is so stiff that I fear breaking the pinion, too. This is my first year with the 'dorff and I am afraid that it does not like the warm and humid Summer of New England very much as it was perfectly okay just a few weeks ago before the Summer started. I cleaned and lubricated the rails with a light syntetic grease and I used a bit of "liquid wax" (Petros Instrument Polish, silicone free w/ refined carnauba wax) on the wood to wood surfaces. I got no improvement whatsoever. Does anyone have any experience with the Deardorff cameras becoming stiffer in humid warm weather?