Thread: help with some old brass. Hermagis and C. Berthiot

help with some old brass. Hermagis and C. Berthiot

hi all,

attached are some pictures of some "new to me" lenses that came out of the infamous lens mine...

i am looking for any and all info that i can get about them. i am interested in their coverage, performance and value.

i learned that the Hermagis and C. Berthiot are Aplanat designs. they are about 22-25 inch focal lengths, i will try them soon to confirm. they are old and BIG. in the attached photo from L-R they are Voitlander 7B, a Dallmeyere 2a (already mounted to a kodak 2D by our favorite soft focus guy, Jim Galli), the Hermagis Apl No. 2 and last is the C. Berthiot.

http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=840954

you will all be happy with this story.....the "Little Green Man" that i got these lenses from told me he got them minutes before they were to hit a 12 yard dumpster.....isn't that the type of story we all love to hear?

thanks for the help. please note that is some of the best IPA beer available!

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Re: help with some old brass. Hermagis and C. Berthiot

Hello Mr. Galli got any pictures on what that dallmeyer looks like on a 2D?
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

no one has any info on these babies? they can not be that rare!

any one?

any one ?

beuler?

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Hey Eddie, email this guy http://emilschildt.com/ if he doesn't post over on Ape-Hug. I know he has a Hermagis a size smaller than yours. I think the Berthiot in that size isn't too common, so it might be hard to find someone with direct, hands on experience. I think the 7b is a big petzval and if the glass is good, will be worth a pretty penny.

thanks for the tips bulley.

i thought i had the only one in existence. the big 7b i know about. i will be shooting with that shortly.

the other lenses are 22+ inches. i do not have a camera to test them on to make it worth while. what good effects could i get with a lens that long that covers ULF by shooting it on an 8x10? i guess i will have to beg and borrow a 12x20 or 20x24 to try this out with......

eddie

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    thanks for the tips bulley.

the other lenses are 22+ inches. i do not have a camera to test them on to make it worth while. what good effects could i get with a lens that long that covers ULF by shooting it on an 8x10? i guess i will have to beg and borrow a 12x20 or 20x24 to try this out with......

eddie
    You know, they make x-ray film in 14"x36", you could have one made.

What's the focal length of the 7B? It probably weighs more than my 2 year old.