Thread: Gitzo 201 Tripod

Gitzo 201 Tripod

I have been using a Bogen 3001 tripod with a 3030 head on it for my 4x5 field ca mera for a couple of years. This set up weighs 5.5 pounds and is marginal. I h ave considered getting the Bogen 3021S for a sturdier tripod. This would increa se the weight of my system to about 6.5 pounds. The 5.5 pounds I am currently c arrying is already a pain. I thought I could cut most of the center post off and maybe saw off a thing or two on the head to reduce the weight of the new sytem. I can't imagine spending $500 for a carbon tripod to save weight, but was chec king them out in my B&H catolgue anyway. I noticed that Gitzo makes a tripod th at has the same capacity as the Bogen 3021. Its the Gitzo 201. I beleive it is aluminum and only weighs 4 pounds, a .75 pound savings over the Bogen 3021. H as anyone had experience with the Gitzo 201 tripod? Also would my Bogen 3030 he ad fit on it ? Thanks.

Gitzo 201 Tripod

for 4x5 you should look at gitzo's 3 series or higher. the 1325 carbon is optimal and, for me, worth the money. series 2 is just not sturdy enough.

Gitzo 201 Tripod

The 2 series Gitzos work fine for 4x5, in that they can easily support the weight, but you have to be VERY careful not to move the camera when inserting holders. If weight is that big an issue, go for it. .

Gitzo 201 Tripod

I've used a Gitzo 226 for almost twenty years to support my Tachihara field camera. This tripod has been more than adequate. I even use it to support my Bronica 645 which weighs more than the Tachi. There is no need to go to the 300 series. Since the 200 series is adequate, the only thing you would gain by moving up is additional weight to lug around.

Gitzo 201 Tripod

Greetings,

The Gitzo 3 series are inherently more stable, because they have more mass. The 2 series, which I use, is perfectly adequate for supporting a 4x5 (I've even used it with an 8x10) but it lacks the mass. To overcome this problem, I carry a mesh bag to which I add either camera equipment or rocks and attach it to the tripod. This add the extra mass and makes the tripod more stable.

Regards,

Gitzo 201 Tripod

Yes your head will fit on a gitzo. Also you can't go wrong either way. Actually I have a gitzo 2 series and a bogen 3236 that I use with a linhof technica. The bogen, though quite heavy, was great for climbing up mesas in New Mexico. I would throw the tripod and climb up after it. I use the gitzo when I,m not going to be near the car or when I,m not going to be abusive. It isn,t nearly as sturdy but it does the job without breaking your back.