Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JOBO motor getting sluggish

Re: JOBO motor getting sluggish

Quote Originally Posted by Cristiano Abreu View Post
    Mercedes Benz wiper motor I'll check that thanks.
    There is another rumor going about that it is a BMW wiper motor. Of course both manufacturers could buy the same motor from the same vendor. If you determine what model MB and/or BMW, they are plentiful enough that you could search out donors in junk yards much cheaper than buying new. Neither MB nor BMW are known for cheap parts pricing.

The above mentioned lubrication kit (kits, there are two different kits) and balancing act have been incorporated in keeping my CPP-2 running with 8x10 Expert drum and 7x17 in connected 2500 series tanks. I can’t say if these have actually improved things, but they have been part of a process that is working well for me.

John

Is Omega still distributing Jobo equipment? If so, try giving them a call. Otherwise you could contact Jobo directly. I really miss hearing from Ken Owen, who worked for Jobo-USA. He used to regularly, clearly and patiently answer Jobo questions on rec.photo.darkroom.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Yes, Omega still distributes Jobo. New Processors are no longer available. I do refurbish them however. 800-777-6634 x 3015

On the West Coast people might contact Dave Smith at Electromechanical Services.

The problem with slipping has alot of aspects:

If the motor has a slotted screw attaching the cog the screw does not thread directly into the metal shaft, instead a compression bushing holds it in place. Newer motors have a hexagonal allen bolt and thread directly into the metal shaft.

Making sure there is no slipping involves the following:

That the screw holding the cog is tight.

That the motor has enough torque if the scew is tight- meaning can you stop the rotation when the motor is turning full speed by grabing it breifly. If you can stop the motor its not powerful enough for turning Expert drums....and not powerful for a host of reasons, sometimes other than simply the motor. The straight shaft-slotted screw motors were replaced in the overall design of the processor when Expert drums were introduced, about 1991- for this reason.

I think the motors that are sold by Mercedes and BMW are different enough not to be usable. The Motors in the Jobo most likely specifically made by the motor making company with specific specifications, like the shaft-spindel and exact bolt positions etc-voltage and torque . So I doubt its an easy find. I have taken one of the old motors apart and cleaned the brushes and it can increase torque....its not an easy fix and not gaurenteed to fix the slipping.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Is Omega still distributing Jobo equipment? If so, try giving them a call. Otherwise you could contact Jobo directly. I really miss hearing from Ken Owen, who worked for Jobo-USA. He used to regularly, clearly and patiently answer Jobo questions on rec.photo.darkroom.

Several years ago I took the motor to an electrical motor repair shop intending to have it rewound. Instead they cleaned it, cleaned up the commutator and installed brushes in a matter of 20-30 minutes. Cost was less than $10.
    I am about ready to take my current motor to them as it has difficulty turning an expert drum one direction. The other direction is no problem.

If its just slow in one direction, most likely not the motor. Most likely not the motor circuitry. Most likely the transfer gear is worn part JP95200. Omega sell two for approx $29.00

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Several years ago I took the motor to an electrical motor repair shop intending to have it rewound. Instead they cleaned it, cleaned up the commutator and installed brushes in a matter of 20-30 minutes. Cost was less than $10.
    I am about ready to take my current motor to them as it has difficulty turning an expert drum one direction. The other direction is no problem.

One more, Expert drums do not need two directional rotation. Two directional rotation is also harder on the motor circuit....for an older straight shaft motor- specifically its circuit the stress will eventually cause a fatal malfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post