Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: JOBO motor getting sluggish

  1. #1
    Cristiano Abreu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    78

    JOBO motor getting sluggish

    Hi,
    Lately, my JOBO CPP-2 motor is getting sluggish, normally after 10 mins or so of processing. It's a 1st upgrade motor and although it's not the most robust for a #3010 expert drum, when I bought the processor used a few months ago the motor has performed flawless until now. What have I... a dying motor or It needs some sort of lubrication? Has anyone tried to lubricate it?
    Cheers,
    Cristiano

    P.S. I've never used the drum with more than 550 ml of solution, to reduce strain on the motor.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sweet, ID
    Posts
    400

    Re: JOBO motor getting sluggish

    Cristiano-
    Mine's the same way, seems to get sluggish quicker when processing at warmer temperatures (e.g. E-6 temps). Don't know about lubrication other than making sure the gears/cogs all spin freely. Sometimes old bath water and/or chemicals make their way onto the shafts of these and they get sticky. I sometimes wonder about the red seals on the tank tops and whether or not they get sticky with age, maybe less flexible and therefore provided more resistence (???). Good luck, hopefully someone has a better answer for this. (I've assumed your using the lift with this).
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

  3. #3
    Cristiano Abreu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    78

    Re: JOBO motor getting sluggish

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Metcalf View Post
    Cristiano-
    Mine's the same way, seems to get sluggish quicker when processing at warmer temperatures (e.g. E-6 temps). Don't know about lubrication other than making sure the gears/cogs all spin freely. Sometimes old bath water and/or chemicals make their way onto the shafts of these and they get sticky. I sometimes wonder about the red seals on the tank tops and whether or not they get sticky with age, maybe less flexible and therefore provided more resistence (???). Good luck, hopefully someone has a better answer for this. (I've assumed your using the lift with this).
    Hi Paul,
    thanks for the input. Yea, I started to notice also this problem when I processed my 2nd batch of E-6. I've injected a few drops of oil in the shaft and It went well a few times with B&W, but now the problem has arose again. That's why I'm considering the option of taking apart the motor casing and do some greasy job to see If I can solve the problem... by the way, I'm a tribologist so solving friction problems is in my blood
    I'm using the lift also. This weekend I'm going to have a go and see if its possible to lubricate the shaft.

  4. #4
    Robert A. Zeichner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 1999
    Location
    Southfield, Michigan
    Posts
    1,090

    Re: JOBO motor getting sluggish

    Someone once mentioned that the motor in the Jobo is actually a Mercedes Benz wiper motor. If upon dismantling the unit to the point of actually seeing the motor assembly, perhaps you could search for identification and if that is true, call a local Benz dealer for advice?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 1997
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    67

    Re: JOBO motor getting sluggish

    On a similar topic concerning the Jobo motors... How do we know when the motors are starting to get sluggish? Is there some reference that indicates a rotation speed of 4 (for example) should revolve a drum X times in one-direction in Y seconds? I guess I am looking to see if there is a slow degradation of performance...

    Thanks,
    Robert

  6. #6
    Cristiano Abreu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    78

    Re: JOBO motor getting sluggish

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Zeichner View Post
    Someone once mentioned that the motor in the Jobo is actually a Mercedes Benz wiper motor. If upon dismantling the unit to the point of actually seeing the motor assembly, perhaps you could search for identification and if that is true, call a local Benz dealer for advice?
    Mercedes Benz wiper motor I'll check that thanks.

  7. #7
    Cristiano Abreu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    78

    Post Re: JOBO motor getting sluggish

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruderman View Post
    How do we know when the motors are starting to get sluggish?
    Hi Robert,
    Easy, the loss in performance is readily observable. In my case, the rotation suffers a considerable reduction to point that it almost seems to stop.

  8. #8
    Paul Wainwright
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atkinson, NH
    Posts
    3

    Re: JOBO motor getting sluggish

    I had the same problem a few years ago... I learned that Jobo actually sold a lubrication kit for the processor. I bought one - it is essentially a tube of greese that fits onto a lubrication point near the shaft on the lift.

    I did 2 things to solve the problem:

    1. I lubricated the shaft, and
    2. I set the ballance wheels under the drum to be in about the middle of the drum, so that no weight was on the cog end of the drum.

    No problems since then.

  9. #9
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,802

    Re: JOBO motor getting sluggish

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruderman View Post
    On a similar topic concerning the Jobo motors... How do we know when the motors are starting to get sluggish? Is there some reference that indicates a rotation speed of 4 (for example) should revolve a drum X times in one-direction in Y seconds? I guess I am looking to see if there is a slow degradation of performance...

    Thanks,
    Robert
    http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_ana...9904.htm#FA994

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Posts
    63

    Re: JOBO motor getting sluggish

    Be sure that the lid of the expert drum is seated PERFECTLY. If it is out of line even in the slightest, it will cause the symptoms that you are experiencing.
    Tom Keenan

Similar Threads

  1. Jobo expert drums and beseler motor base. It can be done!
    By Jorge Gasteazoro in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-Jun-2010, 03:27
  2. Jobo vs. Contact Printing Opinions sought
    By audioexcels in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-May-2007, 21:50
  3. using Jobo tank for filmdevelopment
    By koning in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20-Nov-2001, 05:55
  4. Can FB paper and JOBO problems be solved?
    By scott jones in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 7-Jun-2001, 23:40

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •