Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: !!!WANTED!!! -> Pinkham and Smith 14" Bi-Quality F4.5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

!!!WANTED!!! -> Pinkham and Smith 14" Bi-Quality F4.5

Good day,

I won a lottery just kidding..... I sold my Canon gear and I am ready to purchase Pinkham and Smith 14" Bi-Quality F4.5 in mint/good condition!!!

Anybody selling one here... or where else can I find one?

Do I have to be lucky or rich to find one, or both

Any images/Attributes/Pros & Cons/Advice highly appreciated!!!

Cheers!!!

Re: !!!WANTED!!! -> Pinkham and Smith 14" Bi-Quality F4.5

Try Lens and Repro in New York. They also have America's best displayed photography collection on view in their store.

The Bi-Quality was made by Pinkham only and is a later model. The Visual Quality is the P&S model and is the "original" one. The designs are similar and I hear that the quality is pretty much the same.

Personally, I feel that there has way to much hype over that particular model, however. It was meant to be a middle-of-the-road kind of lens: soft wide open and sharp closed down. Sure, it's nice and I've seen beautiful pics made with it, but I think you could get fine images for a lot less money. Jim Galli's website had a whole page on this... maybe someone could provide a link?

Since Cooke offered the PS 945 everyone seems to equate "Pinkham and Smith" with the VQ model when, in fact, it was the Semi Achromat that established their reputation, being favored by a large number of early pictoralists. The VQ and certainly the Bi-Quality were introduced pretty much after the pictorial craze had subsided and seemed to be more aimed at the portrait photographers of the day.

I only have the Synthetic model and I think it's really a winner! Read the P&S literature available on Cameraeccentric's website [www.cameraeccentric.com, I think] and see what they were advertising.

Best of luck with your quest. Please do post some images when you find your baby!

- Paul

Based on the selling price of last Bi-Quality on ebay, I sometimes feel the strong temptation to let my mint Bi-Quality lens go.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    Try Lens and Repro in New York. They also have America's best displayed photography collection on view in their store.
    Toyon, Thanks for the reference (Lens and Repro in New York) Some times they do have nice things, but I don't like it when they tell you it's MINT and they end up not to be MINT at all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Petzval Paul View Post
    The Bi-Quality was made by Pinkham only and is a later model. The Visual Quality is the P&S model and is the "original" one. The designs are similar and I hear that the quality is pretty much the same.

Personally, I feel that there has way to much hype over that particular model, however. It was meant to be a middle-of-the-road kind of lens: soft wide open and sharp closed down. Sure, it's nice and I've seen beautiful pics made with it, but I think you could get fine images for a lot less money. Jim Galli's website had a whole page on this... maybe someone could provide a link?

Since Cooke offered the PS 945 everyone seems to equate "Pinkham and Smith" with the VQ model when, in fact, it was the Semi Achromat that established their reputation, being favored by a large number of early pictoralists. The VQ and certainly the Bi-Quality were introduced pretty much after the pictorial craze had subsided and seemed to be more aimed at the portrait photographers of the day.

I only have the Synthetic model and I think it's really a winner! Read the P&S literature available on Cameraeccentric's website [www.cameraeccentric.com, I think] and see what they were advertising.

Best of luck with your quest. Please do post some images when you find your baby!

- Paul

Paul, of course I will post more than few images.... I just wanted to find out what everybody thinks and perhaps to see some images rendered!!!

I love the Cooke lens, friend of mine is getting a new version next month... so we'll see.

Jim is amazing, I think if he was F1 Driver riding on turtle.... he would still find a way and end up first Basically , Jim had made some amazing images even with US$50 lenses..... JUST AMAZING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Based on the selling price of last Bi-Quality on ebay, I sometimes feel the strong temptation to let my mint Bi-Quality lens go.

Hugo, I guess you're the man to talk too I would appreciate few images/PM to negotiate

Nothing yet?

Some pictures...

Not nice to tease Hugo!

Tell me about it!
    Now you should have to share it with the rest of the class!!

Can you say LUST!