Thread: "Kit" lens? Sinaron-S (Apo-Sironar-N)

"Kit" lens? Sinaron-S (Apo-Sironar-N)

Hi, all. I have been surfing through this site and reading as much as I can abo ut the pros and cons of various lenses. I have a 1960's (I think) B&J Orbit 4x5 that I need to get a different lens for, and I am SO confused by all the choice s out there! I did find one today that the salesperson mentioned was originally sold as a "kit", a 150 f5.6 Sinaron-S (Apo-Sironar-N)-- can anyone explain what he meant by "kit"? He did say the lens was a Rodenstock and was multi-coated, but I don't remember what was said about the Sinaron name. I apologize in advan ce for asking what is probably a very stupid question!

- Jo

Jo: Since the name is "Sinaron", it means the lens was sold by Sinar, probably with a camera as a complete camera kit. Most LF cameras are sold without lenses, but not always. Linhof also sold complete kits with their name on the lens or shutter assembly. I don't know about Sinar, but the Linhof lenses were specially selected. It ought to be a good lens.

Regards,

my understanding is that Sinar had some lenses branded for them with the Sinaron name. I know for sure that one of the manufacturers was Rodenstock I do not know of any others. Sinaron branded lenses used to sell for less than their Rodenstock conterparts -in Canada. That is now Changed. A longer time ago, Schneider lenses were sold as Schneider with the Sinar logo on the lens body. I thought that required a countercheck on the lens on Sinar's part, making the lens a shurer bet. I do not know how true that is but certainly, my Sinar/Schneider lenses are all outstanding, as is my only Rodenstock.

Rodenstock still makes lenses for Sinar branded Sinaron. You can see the complete listing in tehir cataloge. BTW my recollection is that they sell for more than their Rodenstock lookalikes while the same lens branded Caltar sells for less than the Rodenstock equivelent. Finally if it is multicoated it should say so on the lens. If it doesn not you should be able to tell very simply by looking at the reflections you see in the lens strong magenta and blue reflections and a weaker yellow/white is a sure sign of multicoating.

Thanks for the responses. I called and bought the lens today and will give it a try. Just curious, is there any way to tell when a lens was made or approximately how new/old it is?

William D. Lester

I own a 150mm Sinaron. It is an excellent lens. In Canada it was somewhat less expensive than the Rodenstock. It just happened to be available when I needed a new lens. I wouldn't hesitate to purchse another. By the way I was told it was a Rodenstock Sironar N. It sure looks and feels like one.