Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: question about my website

question about my website

This is my first website and I need some input about this -- my friend tells me that I don't have good blacks in the
    landscape and Greece portfolios but they are fine in the portraits section. On my monitor they seem fine. So -- how do the backs look to you on your monitor?
    I didn't do this website myself, so assume computer illiteracy on my part.
    Thank you for your help. The site is www.patricialanger.com
    By the way, the landscapes are 4x5, most of the portraits are 4x5, one 8x10, but Greece is 35 mm from panorama
    insert in a Mamiya 7 (it's my fantasy 7x17).
    Patricia

It all looks fine on my monitor.

My only comment is that there appears to be a very slight greenish cast. It may be something associated with using the Flashplayer to show the pictures.

Great pictures, by the way.

They look fine. I think men1.jpg is really nice.

You might want to invest in a monitor calibration tool. That way, you'll know. Otherwise, it's just a complete guess.

Since you are using the site to promote your work, you want to feel confident that all the effort you have spent, is not spoiled by any omission on your part.

Gretag McBeth Eye-One is very nice.

OK on mine.

The little frame-wipes when each picture loads are irritating, but that's another matter. Congratulations on getting the site up, and good luck with it...

The photos look fine on a Mac monitor. Often PCs are darker and have a shorter range, so you have to find a compromise. It helps if you use Photoshop's "Save for Web" command (or Imageready) with the ICC Profile box unchecked so that no profile is associated with the image.

As for the Flash interface, it is a pretty effect but tedious for most viewers.

Thanks for the input. I'm glad theblacks are fine. What is it about a flash interface that is tedious? I'm too close to the forest to be particulary discerning.

Doug Dolde

I'd recommend you give the images more meaningful names than xxx1, xxx2, etc. Also would like it better without a pop up window.

any answer to a question such as this is impossible to evaluate accurately. Everyones monitor will be different. All you can do is to aim for the middle of the side of a barn and hope the reproduction on some peoples monitor will be somewhere near to what you intended.

The problem is now doubly difficult because many people now have LCD monitors which are capable of much greater brightness than CRT's and some newer LCD's can be very very bright. So now you have two or three barns to aim at.

So which barn are you aiming at and which type of barn does your friend have? Is your monitor calibrated? Is your friends monitor calibrated. Are you both using the same calibration standard? Have you seen the images on your freinds monitor and what did you think they looked like? How do you know whether my or anyone elses monitor is set at a reasonable level of brightness and contrast?

On my monitor the blacks look a little too dark but putting my monitor into "super bright mode" (designed for video playback) I see there is lots of detail in those blacks. But then I have not calibrated my monitor accurately but other web sites look fine.

I liked the site and the images.

p.s. Ignore any tripe you hear about Flash making images look green... your image landscape_5.jpg has greys which are set with approximately 15 points less blue than red and green. In my book that makes it warm towards yellow (maybe slightly too much but thats down to personal taste) and has nothing to do with Flash.

All looks fine on my Mac. On monitor#1 (CRT, LaCie) black is black. On my monitor#2 (a cheap CRT, GEM), black is a deep dark grey but still looks nice. Very nice photos.

Great photos.

I like the dissolving slide show on the home page. For the others, at first I didn't like the wiping as it loads. However, it IS good to see loading progress happening so I would keep it. I was getting used to it. If you could make a loading bar instead of using the picture frame I might do that, but I don't know what's possible. The dissolving right at the end is fine.

I do like the pop up window because you can go back and forth without waiting, and if you accidentally close the browser, you're not completely lost.

I think numbers are better than names because it's hard to keep coming up with good names, and if people start ordering copies they will get names mixed up. Eventually you'll have hundreds of images. It's easier to order the #3 than to order the "Super Slam Veggie Lovers Special" (which can get confused with the "Super Slam Liver Lover's Special" or the "Grand Slam Pickle Lover's Special")