Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Got Back From Foto 3

Re: Just Got Back From Foto 3

With regards to foto3 the program was terrific. We had 200+ at John Sexton's lecture and 125+ at David Stoecklein's even though it was the night before the conference started. To have secured two such wonderful speakers was very fortunate and the highlight of the program for many attendees. Karen Kuehn was another speaker who got raves. Her portraits, not all large format, are terrific. She regularly works for a variety of nationally known publications.

One of the challenges with such an activity as foto3 is to have the seminars to attract the people but not to keep them so busy they stay away from the trade show. I may have errored a little on keeping them too busy with seminars. Sexton's and Hutchings' seminar on the Art and Craft of Traditional Black and White ran 30 minutes over the alloted time and had people lined up for another 30 minutes to get the handouts from both speakers. A compliment to them and to the program.

Some of the exhibitors said they did better than last year and others did not do so well. However, even those who were disappointed asked about next year and made suggestions.

I appreciate all who attended, as attendees and exhibitors, and will be happy to hear constructive comments.

steve simmons

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    The highlight for me at the conference was to meet and chat with Dick Phillips, such a wonderful gentleman who gave Chamonix people some very constructive ideas after spending his time playing with cameras borrowing from his ideas.
    One of my former employers (company A) just settled a major lawsuit for borrowing ideas or rather die-casts from company C without knowing it. The original owners were wiped out. Company C, a long time competitor, couldn't wait to take down industry behemoth company A. Meanwhile company B whom I worked for briefly who were acquiring trade secrets from an insider working at company A were consumed in a lawsuit by company A. According to an employee at company B at the time I was working there ... "there's a lot of whoring going on" ... according to one owner at company A ... "name" is lucky to have both kneecaps ... and so the story goes in the competitive corporate world ...

Isn't sharing amongst friends wonderful?

I would count yourself blessed that Mr Phillips is truly the gentlemen he is ... he is the last of a breed that may never surface in business ever again ...

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    One of my former employers (company A) just settled a major lawsuit for borrowing ideas or rather die-casts from company C without knowing it. The original owners were wiped out. Company C, a long time competitor, couldn't wait to take down industry behemoth company A. Meanwhile company B whom I worked for briefly who were acquiring trade secrets from an insider working at company A were consumed in a lawsuit by company A. According to an employee at company B at the time I was working there ... "there's a lot of whoring going on" ... according to one owner at company A ... "name" is lucky to have both kneecaps ... and so the story goes in the competitive corporate world ...

Isn't sharing amongst friends wonderful?

I would count yourself blessed that Mr Phillips is truly the gentlemen he is ... he is the last of a breed that may never surface in business ever again ...
    Joe, What are you saying. It went over my head.

Clay

I think he is saying that Dick Phillips is a class act. He could be raising a ruckus over the use of many of his original ideas in the Chamonix camera line. But I gather he is flattered and happy that there is still such enthusiasm for big cameras, and happy that they are embracing and extending his ideas into formats he just never had time to make himself. Am I close?
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Peterson View Post
    Joe, What are you saying. It went over my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    Just got home from Foto 3 and what fun it was.
    I was there and had a good time. Eric, didn't meet you but got to meet Clay, Hugo, and Wayne.

Got excellent tips from Gary Sampson and Jennifer Little during the portfolio reviews. The free film from Kodak and Fuji were offers I couldn't refuse. Thanks to Scott DiSabatto and Kayce Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I don't understand what you're referring to. Could you explain it, please?
    I meant what I typed. I think there are a lot of people at APUG that would have enjoyed a show like Foto3, and it would be good to post a review like this one there as well.

Reposting comments from one forum to another generally isn't a good idea, unless done by the OP, assuming he/she is a member of both groups. Considering the back-story, doing so in this case is probably even less desirable.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

[QUOTE=sanking;357252]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    I too would of liked to have seen more people, but to be honest the price of gas and the general state of the economy means many familes are setting different priorities this year so I didn't expect a huge turnout. In fact, had my friend Chauncey Walden not taken his RV up there I would not of been able to afford to go this year, and I live in Denver!

QUOTE]

I think you are right about the impact of the price of gas on this type of activity, especially for those who are more than one day drive away. Over the past several years I have made several extensive trips out west where I would up driving more than 10,000 miles over the course of 6-8 weeks. The first time I did this the price of gas was just over a dollar a gallon and the total cost of gas for the trip was less than $500. To repeat such a trip now would cost well over $2000 just in gas.
    And things are not much better by air. Prices are up and many airlines are dropping routes.

Sandy King

Guys,

In my case, the gas was not a factor. I drive a Yaris.
    Traveling from Boston, I did search for airfare and hotel six months ago and it was around $600. But the price of the exhibit at $112 ? NOT WAY JOSE!!!!

No offense intended (just feedback). Whoever organized foto3 helped (intended or not) to limit not only the amount of participants, specially amateurs like me who could had learn a lot during the event, also the current and future consumer base in an environment with all the film manufacturers cutting production. Did the word Polaroid ring a bell?
    Just my 2 cents.

Armando.

I have to echo Eric's and Mark's comments regarding Foto3. There were some sessions that were a little soft but there were others that were great ala David Shoeklein, Gordon Hutchings, John Sexton, Dick Phillips, and the Future of Film with Scott DiSabatto (Kodak), Kayce Baker (Fuji), and Michael Bain (Harmon Technology).

I was happy to get a chance to handle a Chamonix. They are very tempting. Hugo has announced that the orders for July/August delivery are filled so my bank account is safe for a few more months. However, my Technika is getting awfully heavy ...

The networking was great and I met many of the same people that Eric and Mark mentioned. Had dinner with Warren Clark, Brad Vogel, Dick Phillips, Jim Andrecki, and the folks from Arca-Swiss. Got my Microtek i800 problem solved with Parker Plaisted. Learned about Bostick&Sullivan's new Pt/Pd process that I will be trying later as well as Gordon's new PMK. This was a wonderful opportunity to meet and compare notes and stories with other large format photographers.
    al

[QUOTE=onnect17;357553]
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post

Guys,

In my case, the gas was not a factor. I drive a Yaris.
    Traveling from Boston, I did search for airfare and hotel six months ago and it was around $600. But the price of the exhibit at $112 ? NOT WAY JOSE!!!!

No offense intended (just feedback). Whoever organized foto3 helped (intended or not) to limit not only the amount of participants, specially amateurs like me who could had learn a lot during the event, also the current and future consumer base in an environment with all the film manufacturers cutting production. Did the word Polaroid ring a bell?
    Just my 2 cents.

Armando.
    Armando,

With all due respect $112 for an event like this is very reasonable. Compare the cost of the recent f295 conference at $150 or APIS at the same amount and Foto3 comes up very affordable.

Don Bryant