Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Ship Or Not To Ship - That Is The Question?

Re: To Ship Or Not To Ship - That Is The Question?

I totally agree with Sandy, on a trip from Turkey to South America last year most of my film, Tmax 400, FP4, HP5 etc went through scanners over 20 times, some had already been through scanners before that.

"anchored" is right saying Fuji, Ilford, Kodak etc say don't put through X-ray machines, but the hand baggage scanners aren't X-ray machines, and use a variety of wavelengths to create their image which are specifically desighned to be safe for the operators and film.

In the UK there's a committee made up of the RPS, Film manufacturers and airport authorities to oversee the safe scanning of films. I was told reliably 2 years ago that the modern scanners were safe for all conventional films even the fastest for many multiple scans.

Most airports use the very latest machinery, the oldest I've seen and has been in the US, but at a major airport undergoing modernisation.

I've had hand scans, they run a metal detector over the box then put it through the scanner as normal, its rare to have any other option.

Ian

Thanks everyone for your help in this matter. I feel better now about putting my film through the machines. I was really not looking forward to the hole shipping thing. I just want to get on the plane and RELAXES.

Thanks again Richard

Stuff shipped to me by UPS or FedEx often turns up after at my front door supper, hot to the touch because it's been in their un-airconditioned truck all day, baking in the Florida sun. With color film, I'd rather take my chances with hand-carried/X-rayed.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)