Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The one thing . . .

The one thing . . .

Hi all. A little introduction in order. My name is Chris. I live in Delaware. I have been shooting 6x4.5 and black and white only for a couple of years. Startd processing my own negs this spring. Decided to step it up a notch. So here I am. I received my first LF camera from a fellow photographer today, homemade 4x5. Film holder fits (Polaroid 545). Will be shooting with P/N55 4x5 sheets. Bellows a bit worn on the mounting corners. Attached with hook and loop (velcro) strips. Have an 8x viewing loupe. I have a shutter cable (12"), lens/shutter ass'y is on the way (135mm Ani).

My question is what is that one thing that I should have NO MATTER WAT that I am bound to overlook?
    Thanks.
    CW

Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee. - The Yeti

Preston Birdwell

Re: The one thing . . .

Patience, Patience, Patience...Grasshopper

Welcome, Chris! Enjoy yourself!

-PB
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

A time machine that'll take you back to when polaroid made instant film.
    A fat bank account, this type of photography is more costly than those gateway formats.

Passion, patience and time.

Peter

"My question is, what is that one thing that I should have NO MATTER WHAT, that I am bound to overlook?"

You should have an expectation that the bellows will leak light.
    I'm mostly kidding, but I can't imagine a velcro attachment being lightproof. Is this an acceptable way to attach a bellows? I've never heard of that.

Peter

I'm starting on a budget here but I checked it in a dark room after a couple of minutes and covered the end of the bellows and my head with a dark cloth, well, bigger than a mere cloth, and had my wife shine te light around the camera from different angles and I didn't notice any light leaks. I know that's not foolproof, but until I, hopefully not, ruin a test shot or two after I get a lens I'm not gonna stress it too awful much.

As to finances, this is not a high cost operation yet. I only have 20 sheets of film until my rich uncle cashes in so this is pretty much just satiating of the curiosity for now.

I really appreciate any and all advice and help I will get from you guys. Thank you.
    Thanks.
    CW

Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee. - The Yeti

A tolerant and loving spouse or significant other, who has some hobby that you can encourage, no matter what, as long as it is not as expensive as yours.

John

P/N55 4x5???
    Seriously?

If you can develop your own film then you may as well go all out and buy some proper 4x5 sheet film. Ilford or Fuji, or even chinese "Era" or "Shanghai". I'm sure people will give you other options.

You'll find a variety of your favourite smaller format films are available in large format.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. However NONE of it fits my situation. Or my question. That's OK. And yes, I'm serious. But I must admit I expected more. Sorry to disappoint.
    Thanks.
    CW