Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: focusing wide angle lenses

focusing wide angle lenses

I am using the standard Linhof ground-glass. no center filter and f5.6 viewing aperture. as I recall, the consensus was not all that positive about the gains from other viewing screens related to the costs. it sounds like a fresnel, much like what is included with my Hasselblad Flexbody for tilt viewing, would be valuable.

while I appreciate the Polaroid recommendation, the environment disallowed that luxury. lighting and subject transience presented overwhelming difficulties coupled with difficult focusing. there is good central focusing, but I am unable to see any image at the corners or enough to evaluate movements.

I have a project needing the 58XL, which I now hestitate to purchase, after experiencing these wide-angle difficulties. it might be easier though, since movements are unavailable.

and I should say, that here in the studio with bright Oregon sunlight breaking through the storm clouds, I can easily compose and focus using a focusing cloth and acclimated eyeballs. just not the same as being in the heat of the moment, watching the light fade, subject moving, back tilt ala Keith Carter, almost imperceptible image on the ground-glass.

Daniel,

Get a Maxwell focusing screen specific to your focal length. I don't have his Phone # handy but many of the posters know it.

You need a fresnel screen and probably a center filter.

The 55mm 4.5 Apo grandagon to the 65mm lenses require the Accessory Wide Angle F ocus Device. They can not be used properly without it on any Technika except the 2000.

72 on a 4x5 isn't that wide. I routinely use the 110 on a 5x7 in low light, which is about the same angle. I have found that even when the light level is too low to photograph on Velvia, I can still see the subject. What helps me is (a) a good enclosing focussing cloth (BTZS) which almost totally eliminates unwanted light, (b) a good focussing screen (Boss), (c) a focussing lupe which can be pointed at an angle for the corners (Silvestri). To help focus, I place tiny flashlights (Photon Micro Light is great) on the ground. Occasionally I have found them to be of some help in the composition (ie determining cropping) as well.

> 72 on a 4x5 isn't that wide

yes, just like my high-school gym coach used to yell at me 'come on Taylor, it's only 250 pounds'.

i have a tk 45s and use the 72xl without problems. get a fresnel. i use the linhof one, although one that is designed specifically for wa use might be easier in the corners. i have started using the focus/metering bellows and find they help a lot. a btzs cloth would be a cheaper option. and definitely get a flashlight. i carry the brightest one i can fit in my case and they're not very expensive.

by the way, do you really use a 210 super angulon on a tk or is it a typo? or does sa stand for something else?

> do you really use a 210 super angulon on a tk or is it a typo

yes of course. it's my standard lens and quite wonderful.

what's only 250 lbs.?