Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some very basic questions about using an Epson V700 Photo please.

Some very basic questions about using an Epson V700 Photo please.

I'm sorry for these very basic questions, but ... can anyone advise please?
    I've installed the scanner yesterday, and installed the Epson software (but not the SilverFast SE and Photoshop Elements software).
    I have an phobia about installing unnecessary software, but I'm thinking now that maybe these aren't unnecessary and I should at least have installed the SilverFast SE - is that correct, and is this what I should use to control the scanner in the future?
    I already have Adobe Lightroom installed, so is it necessary, or is there any additional benefit, in installing Photoshop Elements also?
    With my first scan last night (of a 6x7 transparency) I couldn't find a way to increase the resolution so that I had a TIF file any bigger than around 2.4MB, and I also couldn't get Lightroom to look for TIF format files either! Can anyone tell me how to do this?
    Indeed is there a tutorial or book anywhere giving the 1,2,3 of workflow steps for numpties when using this scanner for scanning transparencies, using Lightroom (ideally) and printing up to A3 (I have an HP B9180)?
    I add finally that 95% of my scanner use will be scanning 4x5 and 6x7 Fujifilm transparencies for printing.
    Oh, and absolutely finally, I have been thinking of getting Genuine Fractals software for use with photographs taken digitally. Would that be of any benefit with scanned images?
    Thanks for any advice on these questions.

Re: Some very basic questions about using an Epson V700 Photo please.

My preference is for the Epson software and Photoshop CS (any version)...

Others here like SilverScan, however, I've found it to be unstable on my system.

I've never found a need for GF software. Photoshop has always worked perfectly for printing.

If you do want to use Silverfast, I don't use it either, it's my understanding that it needs to run with some sort of Photoshop. That's why PS Elements is included. I don't use GF either. I don't know much about Lightroom, only used the trial version and found it very similar to Qimage for the purpose that I was going to use it for.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I use VueScan.

Epson scan is fine for most work.
    I use Vuescan for colour negatives as a find it easier.
    You don't need (but may want) Silverfast SE for scanning.
    Photoshop elements will let you make local edits to the resulting digital image - I use Photoshop CS3. Lightroom will let you make global edits (I think that's right - don't have it myself).

My scanning process with a V700 and Epson Scan for 6x7 transparencies is as follows:

1. Turn on your scanner (USB connected)
    2. Start Epson Scan.
    3. Set mode to Professional
    4. Set document type to Film (with Film Holder)
    5. Set film type to positive film
    6. Set image type to 24bit color (I use 48bit with PS CS3)
    7. Set scanning quality to best
    8. Set resolution to 2400 (I use 3200 - uses more memory/disk)
    9. Press the File Save Settings button - it is above the Close button and has an icon with a folder with an image in front of it.
    10. Set a location and name for the resulting file
    11. Set image format to TIFF
    12. Use the options button and set the Byte order to Windows and Compression to none
    13. Close the options dialog box
    14. Close the File Save Settings dialog box
    15. Press the Configuration button - its the middle bottom one
    16. Set your preview and color (I use ICM) settings.
    17. Set your Film Size to 6x7
    18. Close the Configuration dialog box
    19. Tick the thumbnail box below the Preview button
    20. Press the Preview button
    21. You should get a preview which has correctly thumbnailed your frames (I assume you are using the standard Epson medium format film holder here - if you are not then clear the thumbnail box and you will have to marque each frame yourself (I use a Doug Fisher film holder)
    22. Working with each one of the images - set the histogram adjustment to give fiull range output - use the densitometer to make sure you haven't any clipping. I use the zoom window for this. You can also make lots of adjustments to the image such as Tone Correction and Image Adjustment - I only use the histogram.
    23. Select Unsharp mask (I don't use it) if you want.
    24. There are more options for each frame such as Grain reduction etc. - of these I only use Digital ICE when I am able to (can't with the Doug Fisher Film Holder).
    25. Tick Trimming OFF.
    26. Go through steps 22 through 25 for each frame you want to scan.
    27. Select the frames to scan with the tick boxes on the preview window.
    28. Press Scan and go and have a cuppa.

As I said this basically the way I use Epson Scan YMMV. You don't have to set all these options each time - it defaults and you then only have to adjust each for frame.

You should get a tiff file in the order of 120Mbytes with approximately 6800x5800 pixels from a 6x7 scanned at 2400dpi.

If you don't see all the buttons as I described them - try downloading the latest version of Epson Scan from Epson, the one that came with the scanner may be old.

I don't use or have any experience with Genuine Fractals.

Hope this helps,
    Richard.

I use the Epson Scan (V750) software for 90% of the work. I did load and later upgrade the Silverfast SE to AI after upgrading to Leopard. I've used the Silverfast but not enough to see all it's advantages yet. I'm not sure I'll update or upgrade the package if those are available because the company charges (and considerable too in my view) for everything after the initial version. After that all my work is done in Photoshop.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

If you do want to use Silverfast, I don't use it either, it's my understanding that it needs to run with some sort of Photoshop.
    Not. Silverfast is a stand alone program, but all images will require additional editing so you will need some kind of image editing program. LR is a very limited program for image editing (it is great for processing raw images and organizing files) even compared to Elements in some ways. Any image editing program that is not capable of layers IMO is way to limited for serious work.

The Epson software is a pretty crude tool compared to Silverfast, but it may be all you need.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Not. Silverfast is a stand alone program.
    That was my impression too until I tried to load it onto my Leopard Mac, which I didn't have any PS present on that platform. I couldn't find it... But it was present on the Windows side via Parrallels with the PS. Someone on another site said something about PS has to be present in order to be able to "see" the Silverfast boxes. But what do I know, I'm not a computer geek?
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Silverfast SE + Picture Window Pro 4 is a very affordable yet powerful combo for Wintel users. I am very happy with it.

I also think that the Epson software is enough for the scanning - I have bought SilverFast Ai for my previous scanner, but have stopped using it in the end, and after buying the V700 I did not even install the SilverFast SE - it does not provide option for scanning 48bit color/16bit greyscale files. And I managed to learn the controls enough so it does what I want. You really don't need SilverFast software, you can do very well with the Epson control software.

SilverFast comes either as a Twain application - that can be launched only from some other image editing application. Or it can be installed as a standalone app - which can still be launched from PhotoShop, or can be launched via separate control software. If you have bought either one (or have downloaded either one), the serial number is valid also for the other version. So you can download the standalone version and use either one suitable for your needs.
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").