Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Your minimalist field photo kit?

Re: Your minimalist field photo kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    DAVID... Your Symmar has a Nikon lens cap!!
    You know, I actually wondered if anyone would pick up on that. I got such a good deal on it at Fujiya Camera I wasn't about to make light of the caps it had, but then I suppose I do still try to keep that one on the rear cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    It's interesting to see myself in an old thread.
    This proposed (and much anticipated) trip was postponed indefinitely by a little episode of quadruple coronary bypass surgery. Oh well, maybe next year...?
    Bill, I hope you dont let that stop you from eating all your arteriosclerosis inducing favouites like burgers, pizza, cheese, fries, steak, sausages, chicken, pork, pies, milkshakes, milk, eggs, butter, ice cream or anything else made from animals. Just sit back and let your belt out another hole or two. Photo trips and breathing are over rated anyhow.

Tachihara 8x10 double extension, a 240mm apo symmar lens, lupe , lightmeter , darkcloth, 3film holders and a berlebach report tripod with a manfrotto heavy head.

arca swiss model a, Schneider 150 f5.6 attached to camera, head less tripod, 3021 top with 144bird legs, 4 film holders, sekonic L358, homemade darkcloth, everything besides tripod in thinktank retrospective 30.

My lightweight kit is a Master Technika 2000 with a 120 Super Angulon and 210 Apo-Symmar. Sometimes I'll also leave my 150 Apo-Sironar-S inside the camera but I can easily get by with the other two. I find myself taking that minimal combination more and more often, even when I could bring along more gear.

Of course, I also take ten or so film holders and a Gitzo 3541LS tripod, which isn't tiny but it is light and I don't see the point in compromising on something so important.

I have a backpack attached to a pneumatic tire hand truck and a suport box for my majestic tripod mounted on the same.
    therefor when I go into the field I carry my Sinar F setup with a 180/550 Rodenstock lens, extension tube for the view camera, a selection of filters both for BW and color, Plus a WATER JUG!
    Anywhere I can still walk at 76 years old I can lug my camera.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NW photo gear-2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	75137

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NW photo gear-3.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	75138

4x5 Nagoaka. In this setup it is wrapped in fleece and slides into the right hand bay of the box.

My dark cloth is heavy black cotton fabric. One side is velvet like with a bit of tooth that helps keep it where it is put. The other side is smoother. I picked it up at a yard sale in New Mexico. It was used as a backdrop/ground cloth for a jewelry seller. It also does double duty folded to the dimension of the box – as a cover.

For lens I carry a 135mm and 210mm, also yellow and orange filters and shades. I use a bulb release and Minolta meter. I have lens wraps of fleece. Fleece has spring to it so it grips the lens when pulled snug. Also it doesn’t shed fibers. Lupe and other odds and ends all live in the left bay. When traveling to a remote environment I also stash a spare ground glass.

For film the box will hold three bagged groups of five holders in the center bay – so fifteen total holders. However when in shooting mode I keep two bags in the center bay so there is plenty of space to pull and return the holder to the working bag. Holder with unexposed film is to the outside of the pack. When both sheets are exposed it is moved to the back of the pack. This rotation helps to keep order so a fresh sheet of film is at the ready without fumbling or too much thought.

And here is where the rig really shines. Unlike a soft bag the box doesn’t collapse. It gives you a hands free tray from which to handily work the film holder, grab and toss the loupe, notebook and filters. It provides a convenient place to stash the darkcloth when it is time to make an exposure or resume hiking.

Weight: with load shown 15.5 lbs
    Dimensions: length 13” x width 9” x height 8”

Gitzo basalt tripod w/ball head.

Nicholas Whitman
    www.nwphoto.com

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Larson View Post
    I have a backpack attached to a pneumatic tire hand truck and a suport box for my majestic tripod mounted on the same.
    therefor when I go into the field I carry my Sinar F setup with a 180/550 Rodenstock lens, extension tube for the view camera, a selection of filters both for BW and color, Plus a WATER JUG!
    Anywhere I can still walk at 76 years old I can lug my camera.
    Henry,
    Would it be possible to post detailed photos? You might have me beat in years, but I've got you beat in camera weight. I'm looking for transportation inspiration.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by fasol View Post
    Drilled for less weight Wista 45N
    Amazing !!

How much weight did you saved?

Can you provide some pictures?

Minimalist? Well for me that would be a Mamiya 7II system. But as the topic is view cameras my most minimal system is:

Linhof Technika MT3000
    Sinar zoom back
    Sinar Zoom II back ( I always carry 2 zoom backs, sometimes as many as 4)
    65mm Grandagon
    90mm Grandagon
    120mm Sironar
    150mm Sironar-S
    200mm Nikkor M
    270mm Tele Nikkor ED
    360mm Tele Nikkor ED
    500mm rear element

Sometimes the Linhof Angled viewfinder.

Plus filters, shades, loupes, etc. Either a zone VI spotmeter or a pocket spot.
    Carbon fiber tripod.

I also carry binoculars and or a laser rangefinder, night vision, flash lights, head lamps.

In the car will be several sand bags.

This is why I don't stray much further than a mile or two from the car nowadays....