Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Your minimalist field photo kit?

Re: Your minimalist field photo kit?

Tachihara 4/5, 2 lenses (120 and 210), 5 holders, lightmeter, loupe and hood.

Tripod if I can't borrow one ;-)
    Last edited by Laurent; 29-May-2008 at 08:06. Reason: added precision (format)

hpresphoto

Crown Graphic. Slik 300 DX. SA 90. Cokin filter holder with red & orange filters. 24" cable release. Torpedo level. About 6 to 10 film holders. Change bag. 2 boxes of film (one empty for exposed sheets). Pentax Digital Spotmeter.

Everything but the camera on the tripod fits into a small camera bag I used to use for my 35mm. The Crown stays on the tripod. I consider this my "break-in" kit. It leaves a hand free so I can go through a window or fence and still have a free hand. I use whatever jacket or sweater I'm wearing for a dark cloth.

I am not sure if I consider my 4x5 kit to have a lightweight option. For me with an Arca-Swiss Discovery it is more the lightweight backpack option, which means using a Photo Trekker rather than the Super Trekker. I could make do with just the 75mm lens, but between the Quickloads and lightmeter, and a few grad filters, plus a tripod-it still aint a minimalist setup.

I have actually come around to using my DSLR for ultralight. Rebel XTi with a small two lens kit and a Feisol Tripod all fit in a Osprey Daylight pack (700 cu in) It is like a Camelback in size and I go hike or bike it for a long time.

I suppose if I wanted a really lightweight 4x5 option, it would be a Tachihara with a Nikon 135 and a Fuji 240A (both take 52mm filters). But it still is at least a shoulder bag to carry.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

My small 4x5" kit is the Linhof Tech V with folding hood, 135/5.6 Caltar II-N, 90mm Angulon, 42mm Linhof drop in filter and shade kit, 2 Kinematic holders (10 sheets each), Gossen Digisix, and a small tripod with an Acratech ballhead.

My minimal 8x10" kit is the Gowland 8x10" PocketView with no head and the tripod block attached directly to a little Linhof Report tripod, 12" rail, Busch Vademecum set mounted in a Copal Press #1, 3" gel filters and clip on holder with barndoor shade, 3 wooden holders, Black Jacket, Gossen Digisix.

Toho 4x5, Nikkor 90 f8, APO Sironar 135 f5.6, Nikkor 200 f8, readyloads, Gitzo 1227, Acratech ballhead.

My walk about minimalist kit is 4x5 Crown Graphic with the stock 135mm Xenar. I'll carry a note book in my pocket, a lightmeter in the other pocket and as many as ten film holders in a soft sided cooler bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    A Calumet branded Gowland Pocket 4X5, w/ a Schneider Angulon 90, and a Schneider Xenar 135...snip
    The Calumet Gowland was my set up for years -- with just a 150mm Caltar lens. Lots of backpacking and a 5-month bicycle trip in New Zealand. So, camera, one lens, meter, pod, darkcloth, 6 holders, changing bag, note book (3.25"x4.75" Rite-in-the-Rain), and a few odds and ends (like an spare GG in a film box and a pinhole mounted in a matboard lensboard in case.)

Now there is nothing minimalist about my 8x10 kit.

Vaughn

Osaka 4x5 (soon to be Chamonix), 75, 135, 240mm lenses, fuji QL Provia & Velvia, tripod, a polarizer, an 812 filter, a 2GHS & 3GSS grads, + meter, multi-tool, watch, water and a few snack bars.

If I had to choose just one lens it would have to be the 135. But I wouldn't ever do that, I'll always carry the three.

Wista SP, 65 f/4 Nikkor, 90 f/5.6 Fuji, 135 f/4.5 Zeiss Tessar, 203 f/7.7 Ektar, six holders, Minolta IV meter, 6x7 back, Hakuba carbon tripod, and homemade loupe.

wfwhitaker

5x7 Rochester Universal modified to accept Technika lensboards. 3.65 pounds. Slips into a Domke F-802 Reporter's satchel. Two pockets on the outside hold six film holders. One lens. The 8 3/4" Verito is a favorite, but the 240mm Docter Germinar works very nicely, too. The satchel has room for both, a meter and a darkcloth. With a lightweight tripod it takes up less space than many 35mm kits.