Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Your minimalist field photo kit?

Hybrid View

Your minimalist field photo kit?

Over the year I have met many LF photographers who produce excellent work. Two stick with me as producing top quality images in the style and with the subject matter they work with. David Muench and Bill Ratcliffe. Dave is excellence with a Linhof. Beautiful images, tremendous personal drive and a work ethic second to none. His ever present Linhof and a lens selection he is intimately familiar and comfortable with in producing the images he is known for.

Bill Ratcliffe is not as well known. He had a number of Audubon covers, a 52 page spread in Audubon(Kapairowits plateau) and images in other magazines and books. Bill worked at Dugway Proving grounds in Utah and would take off after work to go to Death Valley(most often) and other locations in and near Utah to photograph with his 4x5. One 10 inch commercial Ektar lens, Ektachrome and hand processing the film in his basement after coming home. He produced excellent work. His work from Death Valley is some of the finest I have ever seen. Most from areas other than the traditional photo locations as his numerous trips there in all weather over 40 years got some great results.

If you are going into the field you most likely fall between the two photographers in what you carry. What is your minimal field kit to consist of? And, if you were limited to only one lens setup... what would it be. I already know Dave Muench would choose his 75mm for 4x5 as he told me so.

Re: Your minimalist field photo kit?

A Crown Graphic with a 135 mm and a 90 mm.

Can't get much similar than that for a minimum kit.

All depends on how you see as to what you put in your kit.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

My small kit is a Canham DLC with 110, 150, and 240mm lenses. If I could only carry one lens, it would definitely be the 135mm Apo Sironar-S.

Crown Graphic with 162mm Raptar, 3 Grafmatics, Tiltall, BTZS darkcloth, 5 filters, and a Weston Euromaster.
    (I'm currently planning a trip this Autumn with this setup, except replacing the Grafmatics with a 545 Polaroid back and the last of my #52 film.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Crown Graphic with 162mm Raptar, 3 Grafmatics, Tiltall, BTZS darkcloth, 5 filters, and a Weston Euromaster.
    (I'm currently planning a trip this Autumn with this setup, except replacing the Grafmatics with a 545 Polaroid back and the last of my #52 film.)
    It's interesting to see myself in an old thread.
    This proposed (and much anticipated) trip was postponed indefinitely by a little episode of quadruple coronary bypass surgery. Oh well, maybe next year...?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    It's interesting to see myself in an old thread.
    This proposed (and much anticipated) trip was postponed indefinitely by a little episode of quadruple coronary bypass surgery. Oh well, maybe next year...?
    Bill, I hope you dont let that stop you from eating all your arteriosclerosis inducing favouites like burgers, pizza, cheese, fries, steak, sausages, chicken, pork, pies, milkshakes, milk, eggs, butter, ice cream or anything else made from animals. Just sit back and let your belt out another hole or two. Photo trips and breathing are over rated anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by kev curry View Post
    Bill, I hope you dont let that stop you from eating all your arteriosclerosis inducing favouites like burgers, pizza, cheese, fries, steak, sausages, chicken, pork, pies, milkshakes, milk, eggs, butter, ice cream or anything else made from animals. Just sit back and let your belt out another hole or two. Photo trips and breathing are over rated anyhow.
    I always wondered what they put in a Haggis. Now i know.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

8 x 10 camera on tripod no head. One lens and 4 film holders. Light meter if I think I may need it and dark cloth.

Makes for a nice late afternoon walk to the beaver pond.

Deardorff v8 and a 14" Commercial Ektar is my basic kit. Sometimes I'll substitute a 19" Artar and 240 G Claron if I suspect I'll be needing needing longer and wider. When hiking I'll bring just the 240 G Claron.

If I have to forego a tripod then it is a 5x7 Seed Graphic hand held with a 203mm Ektar on board.

For night photography I've been using a Gowland 8x10 Aerial with a 300mm Nikor M up front.

Thats about as minimal as I get these days
    I steal time at 1/125th of a second, so I don't consider my photography to be Fine Art as much as it is petty larceny.

Crown Graphic w 135 Xenar/Compur; Toyo long hood loupe; cable release, bubble level, small screwdriver, lens chamois; four Grafmatics; Gossen Digiflash meter; Nikon D300 with 18-70DX and 50/1.8AFD; spare battery and CF card; Gitzo 3540XLS w Linhof 3-way head: Thinktank Airport Antidote; business and postcards. Treo cellphone w camera. Olympus XA with a fresh roll of color neg.

That is all I have and take anyway, except for some lighting gear and a film changing tent.

Once I finish up my stock of Polaroid I will leave the 545 at home too.

My tripod cost more than all my other LF gear ;-)