Page 86 of 426 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast

Thread: Show off your Large Format camera!

Re: Show off your camera!

I had to be attached to a thin mounting plate. I was not happy to find it substituted as it overhangs a extra 3/4 inch, is thicker, and weighs more than the OEM back (which I have seen in photos and am basing on the construction of the 4x5 back). However, the DeVere back is well-made, no problems with it in use.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

that's a sweet one Frank

Yeah other than the bellows extension it would be a great all around field camera for most people. It doesn't seem like it would be expensive to manufacture, maybe some enterprising Chinese copycats could rip them off!?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Here's the infamous Toyo Metal Field 4-3/4 x 6-1/2 inch camera. I bought it from Andrew Plume in the UK for $750 with 5x7 and 4x5 backs. I was surprised to find it came with a 5x7 DeVere back substituted for the OEM back, so it is a little heavier and bulkier this way. It folds to 9x11x4 inches and weight IDK, half of a Linhof. The removable back plate is easy to duplicate so you could adapt other back to the camera. It only has 14-inches of bellows and rear tilt, front rise/tilt/swing, all friction-based, only the front focus is geared. It is solid but not Linhof-solid, think more of a 1970s Datsun Pick-up truck. The bellows is like a Crown Graphic, thick yet sturdy. It uses Crown Graphic lensboards which is nice too.

Nice camera Frank–enjoy! I had one of these with a 4x5 back and think that your analogy to a Datsun pick-up is apt. They are sturdy no nonsense cameras that get the job done with very little fuss.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

[QUOTE=Frank Petronio;618251]Here's the infamous Toyo Metal Field 4-3/4 x 6-1/2 inch camera.

looks like a great camera Frank - hope to see some of your 5x7's on here soon.....

best

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I'm using a vintage 180mm Linhof Symmar (per Christopher Broadbent!) and a Tiltall, it seems well balanced and a good match. A Plexi GG protector from Keith Canham rounds out the outfit. Thanks to everyone here who helped me buy holders, etc. Now would someone kindly buy that old Arca Swiss 4x5 from me please?

hi Frank, is it the girl or the camera, that's 'well balanced'.........?

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    nice
    So...I see that you have a Nikon camera or two and some lenses. Do you sometimes shoot 35mm?

(FYI - I have truly remarkable powers of observation; I made that guess about the "do you shoot 35mm" from just that ONE photo alone!)

nice kit.

Here are my two Polaroid 4x5 conversions. The black one is a 110b that is pretty much stock except for the leather and the Cambo back. This was the first one I built, and rebuilt a couple of times learning my lessons along the way. The tan one is an 800 body, a 950 rangefinder, a 110a standard and a Symmar 135 with a Sinar back. These things take a week to build to do it right. I think I will do one more someday since there are no more kinks for me to work out at this point. These are a blast to use since no tripod is usually needed. I have hand held them down to 1/8s. Here is a shot, hand held, with the tan one.

Patrick--beautiful work on the conversions and a beautiful shot!

Thanks Barry. Labors of love, as they say.