Page 303 of 426 FirstFirst ... 203253293301302303304305313353403 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,030 of 4258

Thread: Show off your Large Format camera!

Re: Show off your Large Format camera!

Quote Originally Posted by Islandor View Post
    Attachment 150797Attachment 150798Attachment 150799Attachment 150800

Gandolfi "Traditional" aka "Precision" Camera

Thanks to Emil I now know at least the correct name of this nice old camera. I just purchased it from an auction in the UK and it was stated to have had some restoration work (new bellows, and more?) done in 1990. I believe that it was made between 1938~75 and I'm really looking forward to learning how to use it properly, but that will take some time for sure! Have been reading about tripods, film & holders, and such here on the site, and thanks to all for putting up such great information!!! The Camera came with 4 Lenses, a Schneider Super Angulon f8/65mm Syncro Compur (Mounted), Schneider Xenar (Mounted) f4.7/135mm Syncro Compur, Kodak Ektar f7.7/203mm Prontor SVS, and a Victorian Brass Lens as well. Since I'm mostly interested in landscape and architectural I'm hoping that the 65mm lens will be a good one to start with. Have also bought a few other much older LF wood cameras from the UK that are more 'project' types as I enjoy working with wood and want to try my hand at restoration of them. Hope to be showing them here someday as well if I don't screw them up too badly. Will probably be asking some dumb questions here along the way as well In the meantime this beauty should be good to go!
    Since the edit button option is not available, just thought I'd add that it is a 4x5 and also that after reading through the lens recommendations, it seems as though I should start with the 135mm lens, not the 65, so will try it that way first.

GTL 4x5 in the field.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0834.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	151298

Attachment 150797Attachment 150798Attachment 150799Attachment 150800

Gandolfi "Traditional" aka "Precision" Camera
    The Camera came with 4 Lenses, a Schneider Super Angulon f8/65mm Syncro Compur (Mounted), Schneider Xenar (Mounted) f4.7/135mm Syncro Compur, Kodak Ektar f7.7/203mm Prontor SVS, and a Victorian Brass Lens as well. Since I'm mostly interested in landscape and architectural I'm hoping that the 65mm lens will be a good one to start with.
    If you're serious about landscape and architecture, the 65 is awfully wide and your 135 probably won't cover 4x5, certainly not with any movements. You might want to keep an eye out for a 90 SA or Caltar for architecture or possibly a 120 or 121 SA which will have plenty of coverage. Both of these lenses have gotten really cheap as of late. L

Hi Luis, and thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Have been reading about lens recommendations around the site also and had seen that a 90mm would be the sensible lens to have (between 65-135) so I will be looking for one of those in the future, or maybe can trade the 203mm Ektar with somebody once I get access to that part of the site, if that's reasonable, but still researching the value of it, seems to get good reviews here as a good lens. No great hurry though, will be studying more before buying or trading anything.

Thanks again, Bob

Many would say keep the 203...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Many would say keep the 203...
    Definitely keep the 203mm, it's the British made version in a #0 size Prontor shutter, it's not worth a lot in monetary terms (under £100/$145) but is an excellent lens.

I use a 65mm f8 SA it's a lens that barely covers 5x4 and has a fiddly Compur #00 shutter but on the few times I use it it's given me some nice images not possible otherwise. However more recently I've added a 75mm f5.6 Super Angulon because it covers 5x4 better than the 65mm. Your 135mm Xenar doesn't have much coverage (room for movements) and is less than ideal for architecture, it's OK for landscapes I'd sell this one and get a 150mm Symmar S, Sironar N and a 90mm Super Angulon or Grandagon, or similar lenses from Nikon/Fuji.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Definitely keep the 203mm, it's the British made version in a #0 size Prontor shutter, it's not worth a lot in monetary terms (under £100/$145) but is an excellent lens.

I use a 65mm f8 SA it's a lens that barely covers 5x4 and has a fiddly Compur #00 shutter but on the few times I use it it's given me some nice images not possible otherwise. However more recently I've added a 75mm f5.6 Super Angulon because it covers 5x4 better than the 65mm. Your 135mm Xenar doesn't have much coverage (room for movements) and is less than ideal for architecture, it's OK for landscapes I'd sell this one and get a 150mm Symmar S, Sironar N and a 90mm Super Angulon or Grandagon, or similar lenses from Nikon/Fuji.

Ian
    Thanks Ian, gives me more to think about... I also have a Technika 70 that I just purchased that has a 100mm Planar with it so may try to see if it may be usable o the Gandolfi, but guess I would need an adapter board to mount it... still learning.

Thanks Ian, gives me more to think about... I also have a Technika 70 that I just purchased that has a 100mm Planar with it so may try to see if it may be usable o the Gandolfi, but guess I would need an adapter board to mount it... still learning.
    You need to have a good look at the resources here. For Zeiss try here unfortunately your 100mm Planar only covers MF.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    You need to have a good look at the resources here. For Zeiss try here unfortunately your 100mm Planar only covers MF.

Ian.
    Yes, still a lot to learn, thanks again Ian.