Page 167 of 424 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217267 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 4233

Thread: Show off your Large Format camera!

joseph

Re: Show off your camera!

C11.17 prototype at Shiprock NM by joseph - jb7, on Flickr

Taking the first picture on the new (prototype) Carbon Fiber and Walnut packet loading multi format 11x17 folding studio camera at Shiprock, New Mexico at dawn yesterday. Desert testing. Didn't go too badly, got some valuable feedback from the exercise. Loaded with 11x17 Kodak X-ray film. The camera was designed to take advantage of the image circle of a lens, to shoot 11x14 and 7x17 without reducing backs. An interesting side effect is the aggregate format, 11x17, which is easily cut down from 14x17...
    The smallest size you might consider using on it might be 8x10, perhaps to shoot the odd sheet of colour film on your holidays, for example. Though I forgot to pack the little bit I have...

I see there is some Fuji 20x30 colour film for sale here- quite tempting, I'd get 4 sheets of 10x15 out of one of those...

11x17 Folding studio camera? Does that sound a bit odd? Did any studio camera fold? This one has been designed to accept heavy lenses, although it hasn't been tested with one yet. I have placed a 9.25kg 36" f/6.3 at the end of the front extension without appreciable deflection, though I haven't mounted it on a lens board yet - a 9" board, Century size. I have one waiting for it, that Eddie Gunks very generously donated to the project last year, in New York.

The camera has front tilt and swing which can be controlled from behind the back, although with a lens that heavy, I think only downward tilt will be available, if any. I'll be back in Dublin in a couple of weeks and will try it out then-

It has an integral dark cloth, suspended from a closing lid which is necessary for shutting off the back of the camera while making an exposure; the focusing screen must be displaced to allow the film holder to register.

Bellows, up to 43 inches available on accessory rear extended tubes, around 36" in this configuration. I should be able to use a 90mm for circular images too, on the recessed board in the picture- though movements are restricted below about 250mm-

Anyway, first look, a lot of testing to be done yet, although the film loading into the camera has passed with flying colours. The camera was designed and built in Ireland, but desert testing has shown up some shortcomings in some of the materials and adhesives used- I just wouldn't have appreciated how cruel the sun can be outside of our temperate little isle...

It's not finished yet, still some work to do- I'll be writing a more in depth article after thorough testing and proving- though that might take a while-

Thanks again to Robert Langham for his thoroughly prepared dossier on Shiprock- an inspiration- though your position as master of Shiprock is quite safe- it's an impressive rock, but I'm not a landscaper, even if I find myself in a good one from time to time...

Joseph, I just have one thing to say: Holy Moley!

Standing on a chair, clapping.

That must be some kind of record! What a machine! I thought I had a camera......but I just have a little toy compared to this!
    Last edited by Robert Langham; 28-Jun-2013 at 09:17.

We have a winner!

How silly!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post

C11.17 prototype at Shiprock NM by joseph - jb7, on Flickr

Taking the first picture on the new (prototype) Carbon Fiber and Walnut packet loading multi format 11x17 folding studio camera at Shiprock, New Mexico at dawn yesterday. Desert testing. Didn't go too badly, got some valuable feedback from the exercise. Loaded with 11x17 Kodak X-ray film. The camera was designed to take advantage of the image circle of a lens, to shoot 11x14 and 7x17 without reducing backs. An interesting side effect is the aggregate format, 11x17, which is easily cut down from 14x17...
    The smallest size you might consider using on it might be 8x10, perhaps to shoot the odd sheet of colour film on your holidays, for example. Though I forgot to pack the little bit I have...

I see there is some Fuji 20x30 colour film for sale here- quite tempting, I'd get 4 sheets of 10x15 out of one of those...

11x17 Folding studio camera? Does that sound a bit odd? Did any studio camera fold? This one has been designed to accept heavy lenses, although it hasn't been tested with one yet. I have placed a 9.25kg 36" f/6.3 at the end of the front extension without appreciable deflection, though I haven't mounted it on a lens board yet - a 9" board, Century size. I have one waiting for it, that Eddie Gunks very generously donated to the project last year, in New York.

The camera has front tilt and swing which can be controlled from behind the back, although with a lens that heavy, I think only downward tilt will be available, if any. I'll be back in Dublin in a couple of weeks and will try it out then-

It has an integral dark cloth, suspended from a closing lid which is necessary for shutting off the back of the camera while making an exposure; the focusing screen must be displaced to allow the film holder to register.

Bellows, up to 43 inches available on accessory rear extended tubes, around 36" in this configuration. I should be able to use a 90mm for circular images too, on the recessed board in the picture- though movements are restricted below about 250mm-

Anyway, first look, a lot of testing to be done yet, although the film loading into the camera has passed with flying colours. The camera was designed and built in Ireland, but desert testing has shown up some shortcomings in some of the materials and adhesives used- I just wouldn't have appreciated how cruel the sun can be outside of our temperate little isle...

It's not finished yet, still some work to do- I'll be writing a more in depth article after thorough testing and proving- though that might take a while-

Thanks again to Robert Langham for his thoroughly prepared dossier on Shiprock- an inspiration- though your position as master of Shiprock is quite safe- it's an impressive rock, but I'm not a landscaper, even if I find myself in a good one from time to time...
    F**k me!

Downstairs

After Josef's bulldozer, my Gandolfi's look like garden trowels.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gandolfi4x5-02.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	97828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gandolfi8x10-09.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	97829

joseph

Quote Originally Posted by cjbroadbent View Post
    After Josef's bulldozer, my Gandolfi's look like garden trowels.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gandolfi4x5-02.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	97828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gandolfi8x10-09.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	97829
    Like a pair of earrings Christopher...

It would be great to see what you could do with an 11x17; either I'll have to fly out, or I'll have to attempt an homage- same with you Ramiro-

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post

What an original approach! Really looking forward to the article.