Page 11 of 426 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Show off your Large Format camera!

Re: Show off your camera!

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    My Wehman and I this past March, "off the beach" along Lake Michigan. The picture was taken by a duck enthusiast who asked me whether I wanted a copy. The focusing cloth is a birthday gift from my oldest daughter, who made it for me last year.

Mike
    Finally I get to see the Wehman.

This is a great thread and so many beautiful cameras.

A while back I had an itch to make a camera for fun out of existing bits.
    A friend in Geelong, Michael Wynd, gave me a Nagaoka focussing base and I had a 26" Calumet monorail. Naturally they needed to sit on a tripod at the same time.

I wanted something solid but light and at the same time sturdy. It had to break down quickly and be usable with lenses from 90 - 500mm.

The bellows and standards from the Calumet monorail take about 30 seconds [8 screws] to remove and the monorail frame is put aside for use as a studio camera base if you want.

Make a couple of wooden base plates, drill them out, get some bolts and knobs and about 3 hours later the whole thing is ready to take a test pic.

Without the extension the range is 90 - 240 and with the extension 210 - 500+.

All up the camera weighs 6 pounds and breaks down flat for a small backpack. From backpack to use takes about 2 - 3 minutes or less.

This was originally only going to be proof of concept but it works so well it "may" get a lick of paint if it is lucky because I'm not doing anymore on it, except use it as my main camera..

Steve

The remainder of the images

Arca Swiss F-Field sporting a lovely Rodenstock 300/5.6 APO Sironar-S with front drop and rear rise....subject was a Sequioa with flowering dogwood in the foreground located down a slope...still waiting for the film to come back.

And one for Audioexcels (Mike) showing the beautiful Nikkor 450/9 M on the Arca Swiss with the telephoto belows (middle of bellows supported by an adjustable brace designed by Rod Klukas). This lens is just an incredible performer, almost as good as the Rodenstock 300/5.6 APO Sironar-S, in fact really difficult to tell the two apart. I was quite surprised given the price differential.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hohenstein View Post
    Finally I get to see the Wehman.
    Hang around long enough and you'll probably get to see another one. If I had to live with one camera for the rest of my life, this one would be at the top of the list. I really like its portability and ease of use, as well as its rigidity. I'd really like to get another one later on, when life straightens out a little.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Here is my Tachihara 8x10.
    (have to learn how to attach an image)
    Last edited by Dominique Cesari; 13-Jun-2008 at 07:01. Reason: error in attachment

Wow! Some great cameras, but I think the American models are under represented;-)
    51 Speed & Graphic View ll

Steve

This is my "shame on me".
    Every time I go out shooting, people ask me why do i wrap my shorts around it.
    I try to explain, but they still look at me with an expression of empathy.

My Wisner Expedition 4x5 a couple winters ago in Yosemite Valley under a 3-mil plastic bag waiting for a break in a snow squall:

Last week ground glass view with the lens about 75 inches above a 4 foot diameter redwood log, pointing at some rhododendron and redwoods. Atop a precariously tripoded G-1324/G-1318 plus head while I stood atop a wobbly precariously placed 20 ounce foldable tripod chair in order to reach as high as possible in order to keep tree trunks vertical. I made this Coolpix pic just after exposing a Provia sheet for 16 seconds and before removing the film holder.