Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accumulating a large format setup

Accumulating a large format setup

Possibly a daft question, but here goes.

I've thought on and off for a couple of years about trying large format photography (4x5). If I did, I probably wouldn't buy everything at once, instead gradually picking up the various pieces from auction sites etc., So I've been wondering about the best order for doing that. Mainly whether to get a lens followed by a camera, or a camera followed by a lens. I've mainly looked at cameras so far, but I could see arguments for doing it either way round.

Re: Accumulating a large format setup

Owning a camera with no lens will just be the most frustrating and infuriating situation IMHO. Like owning a car with no wheels. I'd just save up until you can get a camera, a lens, and a couple of film holders at the same time. Assuming you've already got a decent tripod and head.

I expect you're right. It was probably just something in the way I've dealt with turntables in the past: it's not always better to get the tonearm, cartridge, plinth, and turntable in one shot, especially when buying older gear. I might take a year or more to put it all together. Large format seemed a bit reminiscent of that, compared to SLRs, rangefinders, or TLRs. If it was a first camera, sure I'd be frustrated to have half a kit.

The camera without a lens/shutter can still be used with a make-do Pinhole lens. A piece of mat board with a hole in the middle. Tape Tin Foil over the hole and use a fine needle to make a pin hole in the tin foil. Now you have a pin hole camera. All you need is a film holder or two and you are in business.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I had a similar issue during COvid when I decided to move up to 4x5. But I settled on buying the camera first, a new unit. Then while it was being shipped, I found and bought a "normal" lens at 150mm from a used source as large format lenses are mainly all "old".

I'd suggest reading up some reference materials about large format photography in this forum's reference section. The first section should be helpful: How to get started in large format photography

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/

Thanks Alan.

From experience, I would use your "waiting time" to research lenses. Grab a used copy of "A User's Guide to the View Camera" by Jim Stone or "Using the View Camera" by Steve Simmons and start down the rabbit hole of lens application and choice.

Even though I have used small to medium format cameras for decades, I never really explored how lenses work in Large Format Photography and the last few years have been a real continuing education and an eye-opener.

When you start moving the lens and film focus plane around, things get complex real quick; something I only had a vague awareness of before really studying the issue.

If you jump out and purchase random items and start trying to make them work together, it's more frustrating than not having a camera at all and can get discouraging fast.

Start thinking about what you want to shoot, how you want to shoot it and what limits your budget places upon those wishes.

Good luck!
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...

Thanks. I think it's the fact that it's so modular, if that's the word I want, that is a bit overwhelming at the outset. I'm not an expert photographer, just someone who has enjoyed taking photos since the film days, and still has everything to learn. The good thing is that there seems to be no shortage of LF cameras for sale, at what look like good prices, so I probably don't need to rush there. It might take a while trying to work out the various compatibility issues with backs, holders, lenses, boards, and any other parts I haven't thought of. As I'm in Japan, I'd probably just go with a Japanese make.
    Last edited by Reverb; 20-Apr-2024 at 07:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    The camera without a lens/shutter can still be used with a make-do Pinhole lens. A piece of mat board with a hole in the middle. Tape Tin Foil over the hole and use a fine needle to make a pin hole in the tin foil. Now you have a pin hole camera. All you need is a film holder or two and you are in business.
    I've dabbled in pinhole photography for half a century, and don't recommend pinhole photography for someone moving up to large format. True, long ago Ansel Adams devoted a few pages to it in his book The Camera, but that was to simplify his introduction to image forming. There are better introductions to pinhole photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
    Possibly a daft question, but here goes.

I've thought on and off for a couple of years about trying large format photography (4x5). If I did, I probably wouldn't buy everything at once, instead gradually picking up the various pieces from auction sites etc., So I've been wondering about the best order for doing that. Mainly whether to get a lens followed by a camera, or a camera followed by a lens. I've mainly looked at cameras so far, but I could see arguments for doing it either way round.
    You don't want a camera without a lens and you don't have to buy some high end folding field camera to get started. You can find very nice used Kodak and Calumet monorail cameras for around $100.

You don't need the finest Schneiderbaster XL 123 for a lens either. Older Kodak Ektars are superb, for example. There are also tons of old Wollensaks and similar lenses that - while not top tier - are a good way to get going.

One of my favorite - and most used - lenses is a 210mm f/6.8 Caltar-IIE. I just saw one on eBay for $150 (offer less, they'll probably take it). This lens is a rebadged Rodenstock and it is tack sharp and contrasty, not to mention small and light.

All in, with a couple of film holders, at least in the US, I'd expect you could get going for about $300-ish.
    Silver Photographers Never Die, They're Just Getting Fixed

My Stuff: https://www.tundraware.com/Photography
    Reference Material: https://photoarchive.tundraware.com/