Page 221 of 427 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231271321 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 4262

Thread: Show off your Large Format camera!

Re: Show off your Large Format camera!

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Since it is highly doubtful that pictures of LF cameras were taken with another LF camera, I would suggest to the moderators to move this thread to the Lounge or to the "other than LF" forum. That would be much simpler than trying to figure out which pictures of LF cameras were not taken with another LF camera. Sorry if I am making too much sense...
    I guess you would be out of luck if you only have 1 Large Format camera....

My great friend (and fellow member here) James Kenny built his daughter a full size replica Victorian Funeral Coach for her Halloween decorations. Definitely a subject that had to covered in a large format and the local paper (Springfield Mo. News Leader was kind enough to cover the story of James and to allow me to use these photos. I used my 8x10 Agfa with a #3 Sommerville 8x10 lens, my Nikon digital, and my Zone VI with a 210 Caltar II.

James is a brilliant carpenter who not only crafted this out of mostly palettes and other scrap lumber, but has one camera build behind him and is planning on another as a project this winter. He has also helped to modify backs for me on my Century studio camera and for the Agfa. Perfect projects all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 635483627937394567-3-cameras.JPG   635483627990195623-Standing-by-hearse.JPG   635483627990195623-Over-the-shoulder.JPG   635483628036646552-Tim-and-Camera.JPG  
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Last two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 635483627990345626-tight-shot-of-face.JPG   635483627937994579-Full-hearse.JPG  
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    5x7 Tech III with some tasty glass

Attachment 123178

Beautiful...

image taken with a dslr - not even FILM, much less sheet film

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    My great friend (and fellow member here) James Kenny built his daughter a full size replica Victorian Funeral Coach for her Halloween decorations...
    Every girl should have her own Victorian funeral coach...especially if her name is Wednesday.

Is the Agfa actually an Ansco?

Yes, Will. The label actually says, Agfa Ansco so it is both in one.

Tim, your AA8x10 is gorgeous! Did you do the restoration?

Hi, Michael.

Yes and no.

I replaced the bellows with one from Turner Bellows in New York, so I installed that (no big deal). I also did a complete diss assembly so that I could take the brass parts (lens included) to a musical instrument repair genius in the town I lived in then. The brass was largely all tarnished and most of the lacquer had unevenly worn away leaving it very discolored and somewhat scaly feeling. This guy was at least 50/50 an artist and/or an alchemist. He had an old claw foot bath tub filled a foot or so deep with some sort of vile witches brew of solvents in which he soaked brass instruments and in my case, all the camera parts except for the glass cells and the shutter, until all remaining lacquer and much of the tarnish went away. He then cleaned each part and buffed them very thoroughly on a wheel with at least two different polishing compounds, cleaned them with a milder solution once more to prepare them for finishing and then did a masterful job of carefully re lacquering each one to perfection. That was over thirty four years ago and it still looks perfect. I had him do several other lenses and a 5x7 Agfa/Ansco as well, all absolutely gorgeous when finished.

The wood, with the exception of some score marks on the lacquer here and there, was perfect, I tried to find out about French rubbing for that finish style, but could not find what I needed to just correct the few marks, so I just left the wood work well enough alone other than a simple cleaning and light waxing. The camera itself was quite solid, so there were no repairs needed other than what I've described.

I did want a reducing back for it, so I found an old Speed Grafic back and James made the wooden part to fit the body perfectly. He is quite a brilliant carpenter as well as a darned good large format shooter. Can't wait to see the 4x5 he plans to build this winter.

So, I can't say that I actually restored it. I just took it apart and got the right people to do the work and then put it back together. Anyway, it worked out.

Wow--34 years and that brass still sings! Brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

I just picked up a 1941 2D 8x10 that needs the same kind of treatment for the brass. Your AA is an inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    According to the new LF forum rules, this is no longer considered large format.
    If true....that is utterly pathetic...seriously.
    The attached photo, just another day getting paid to live life to the fullest....
    Attachment 123279