Thread: Microtek i800 problem

Microtek i800 problem

I am hoping that someone on this Forum can help me. I am having a problem with my Microtek i800. This occurred after I installed Windows XP Service Pack 2. I do my scanning with Microtek's ScanWizard Pro software.

Prior to installing the Service Pack, I would perform an Overview scan, then a Prescan, and finally the actual scan using the buttons marked [Overview], [Prescan], and [Scan].

After installing Service Pack 2, the [Scan] button is now labeled [Batch]. The [Overview] and [Prescan] buttons function as before. However if I press [Batch], no scan occurs and I get the message "There are some jobs without image filenames". However the window shows the job as "Untitled1" as it has in the past.

I have:
    (1) Reinstalled ScanWizard Pro from the CD several times. Didn't help.
    (2) Installed Windows XP Service Pack 3. Again, no luck.
    (3) Downloaded and installed ScanWizard Pro v7.043 from the Microtek site. Didn't resolve the problem.

I am wondering if there is some value in the settings files that has become corrupted. Have any of you i800 or ScanWizard users encountered this problem? I would appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Thanks,
    al

Preston Birdwell

Re: Microtek i800 problem

Al,

You might contact Microtek to see if there is an incompatibility issue between Scan Wizard and XP SP-3. If there is no info, then...

I suggest you do a system restore. Find a 'restore point' that was created before you installed SP-3 and do the restore.

Reinstall SP-3 in Safe Mode.

After the reboot, create a new restore point and then uninstall and reinstall Scan Wizard in Safe Mode. Also, be sure your virus scanner is temporarily disabled.

I hope this helps.

-PB
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Al, I've had similar problem with my i800 (and done your steps 1, 2 and 3; when it does run it seems to take much longer than it should and often hangs my computer. For many months now I simply use it as a paperweight on my desk. Some day I'll replace it, but my desire to scan is minimal and I have other options for any non-photographic scanning needs.

I did receive a long set of instructions from Microtek Technical Support on how to reinstall in the Safe mode.

However, I spoke with Parker Plaisted at Foto 3 and explained my problem to him. He showed me how to resolve the problem. For those such as Brian who may be interested:

1. Do a Prescan -- The Scan Jobe Queue window contains "Untitled1" and "Batch" is still displayed on the "Scan" key.

2. Press the "Batch" button to get the Batch Scan window.

3. Press the folder icon to get the Save As window.

4. Select or create a folder and provide a file name, Then press OK ... the window collapses.

5. Then press "Done" in the Batch Scan window. The scan starts.

6. The scan ends and the Batch Scan Result window appears ... press "Done".

Now you can go back to Photoshop Elements and do a File>Import>MicroTek ScaWizard Pro ... and the "Scan" button appears above and the default file names Untitled1, ..., etc. now work.

Hope this is helpful. And thank you Parker Plaisted!
    al

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Thanks... I'll have to give that a try!