Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amtrak or Greyhound?

Re: Amtrak or Greyhound?

I'd also go by train, as long as you are not worried about getting there on time. Amtrak doesn't own the rails it rides on and is at the mercy of the Freight train company's for being put on sidings for the freight trains to pass. Amtrak's Coast Starlight goes through the town I live in, and i've seen it pass at almost all times of day

I did a train trip two years ago, and had a blast. I had the attendant lock my camera gear into secure storage and all was safe. When I got off the train in New York City, they retrieved it and brought it right to me. I loved it, and where trains go, I will never take a bus.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Amtrak whenever I can.

C

I'm going to the Blue Ridge Mountains this Fall for a foliage workshop. I'm taking Amtrak to Charlotte, NC to meet my friend down there. It beats flying by a mile and I can bring my gear with me without as many restrictions. My LF gear will have to go by FedEx :-(

I did a bus trip from Boston to NYC on Fung Wah bus lines, which has a checkered past. It was only five hours each way, but I couldn't stand being packed in like a sardine. Next time, it will be Amtrak.

In the United States, I would always take the train over a bus. My last Greyhound ride was from Los Angeles to Mobile in summer. The air conditioning failed in Indio. In Houston I was told my reservation on that express bus was no good beyond that point. I rode standing up on a puddle jumper and arrived late.

This was sixty years ago. Maybe they have improved since, but I doubt it.

I'd rent a high gas mileage car with unlimited miles. Being able to see things and stop whenever I want to make a picture would be a very, very high priority for me.

Richard M. Coda

Agree with Will... do the math and see what works best.

I took the train from NJ to FL twice back in the very late 70s to visit a HS friend who moved after graduation (and to be his best man). It was great... being 18-19, on my own for the first time, stopping at every major city on the Eastern Seaboard, and watching the country go by. (It was also all I could afford back then!) The only downside was I had a very "large" woman next to me on the aisle (I had the window). She turned when she slept and pinned me to the window all night.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

In 2002 my wife and I took the bus from Medicine Hat to the last stop before LA. It was a 44 hour bus trip including breaks at stops and except for the last two or three hours it was a surprisingly enjoyable trip. First choice would have been the train but the train was more than three times the cost for that particular trip. Have taken a couple of bus and train trips Christmas time that was not enjoyable at all. We drove home in a car we went down to get and although that was nicer it was also longer as it took us a week as we made a holiday out of it.

We used to have ESL students staying at our place and several before returning to Korea or Japan took the Greyhound to eastern Canada and northeast USA and all thought the bus was a great trip.

With Amtrak you will see the country; with Greyhound, you will smell the country. Greyhound humanity is a little much for me - AmTrak travel is more civil and will provide more room for the Super Trekker. I believe that LowePro sells a lockable wire security bag - or you could use tiny pad locks on the zipper pulls and tether the pack to a luggage rail.

Of the two I'd say train for all the reasons the others have said. And if you are going someplace like Glacier NP, the train stops in the park.

But if it was me, I'd see about a rental car for the whole trip and then have the freedom to go when and where I want. The wife and I were going to Florida and it is about a 900 mile drive each way. We rented a Hyundai Sonata (drives really nice and has XM to boot)that got about 35mpg. Rental for a week with all the tax and fees was about $200. I spent $190 on gas. So $400 for transportation for a week and I covered just over 2000 miles. Pretty cheap. Probably cannot buy any plane or train ticket and get a rental on location for any cheaper.

Check for rental car deals with unlimited miles and ask for a specific high mileage model. Then you can when and where you want.

Good luck and have a great trip!
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer