Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compur 00 size shutter?

Compur 00 size shutter?

Hello, at the moment I'm eyeballing a Schneider SA f8 65mm on ebay. The question I have has to do with the shutter size, are there parts for this size shutter? Ease of repair ifneeded? Lensboards? My camera is a sinar f1 if that makes any difference. Ive seen these lenses sell quite cheap on ebay!!!

Re: Compur 00 size shutter?

The 00 is indeed a tiny shutter. Be advised the 65 f8 SA does not really cover 4x5 very well with its 155mm IC: http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/...ta/8-65mm.html
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

It just covers 4x5" just barely. The original center filter is hard to find, but I have one, so there are a few out there.

The shutter is quite reliable, but in the unlikely event that you use this lens so much that you wear out the shutter, the best thing to do would be to replace it with a new shutter. Normal maintenance for these is just cleaning and possibly a little lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    It just covers 4x5" just barely. The original center filter is hard to find, but I have one, so there are a few out there.

The shutter is quite reliable, but in the unlikely event that you use this lens so much that you wear out the shutter, the best thing to do would be to replace it with a new shutter. Normal maintenance for these is just cleaning and possibly a little lubrication.
    Where would you find:

1: A new Compur? They have been out of production for years.
    2 A new 00? They haven't made a 00 view camera shutter in decades.

I meant that it would be easier to adapt the lens to a new shutter like a Copal 0, rather than trying to find parts for a Compur 00.

A used, well-working 00 Compur can be had without much trouble by buying a $25-$50 35 mm folder such as a Jubilette, Baldinette, etc. These will typically have had a lot of exposures, but still work very well with a basic CLA. They don't have a T or press-focus function, but do have a B that can be used for focusing with a locking cable release.

OTOH, the likelihood of *any* of us actually *wearing out* a shutter in large format usage seems rather unlikely. I've got a roll film camera with dial-set Compur made in the 1920s (probably 1927) and still accurate enough and reliable enough for routine use.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

kevin, lensboards can be drilled to order. NOS #00 shutters pop up from time to time on eBay, and there's a vendor who seems to have a lot of #00 Prontor IIs.

AFAIK, no #00 has T or press focus.

David, threaded bushings to allow the cells to be mounted properly in a #0 or #1 will cost more than the lens is worth.

Get a Compur 00 to Copal 0 mounting adapter from S.K.Grimes. I just got one for my recently purchased SA 8/65; it costs $35.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    AFAIK, no #00 has T or press focus.
    That's correct. And that's why I always bring a locking cable release whenever I take my 90mm f:8 Super Angulon out - mine is an old one in a 00 Compur.

Thanks for the information. I'm still amazed by this forum. I sit here in the west of Ireland (quite remote buy anyones standard) and get responses from all over the world! Its a great resource. KK